Chapter 45

A/N: I'm aware I mentioned this chapter was going to be darker, but given the current state of the election, I figured I'd save it for the next chapter. It's very rare that I make a chapter 'fluffy' without some angst, so enjoy! This highly-anticipated election is so nerve-wracking, so I hope this gives you (U.S. peeps anyways) some relief in the wake of this shitshow.

Let me know what you think! I always enjoy reading your theories, comments, revelations. Thanks for the 7k votes by the way <3

Chapter 45

Simon's POV

Despite sharing eerily identical features, Michael was Vince's polar opposite. Very straight-forward, sure of himself, and from what I've seen, far more empathetic with people than Vince tried to be. Of course, that didn't mean Vince couldn't be those things, but it was refreshing to be around someone that genuinely knew what they wanted.

And as much as I wanted to believe Vince, and understand his concerns, I had no reason to believe Michael was in fact a bad person. I mean Michael had done more for me the last week than Vince had ever done his entire life.

"So, tell me," Michael said after the waitress left the breadbasket. He grabbed a slice of bread, buttering one side. "How has my brother been treating you? I've been so busy with things, I feel like I haven't been able to check up on you."

"Well," I thought about it. Aside from our arguments, it wasn't like he was terrible. Compared to a few weeks ago, or even to back then, Vince had been a bit nicer. And this morning had been pleasant, the fact he decided to stay and sit next to me was a far cry from what he would've done when I first came back.

"Bread?" Michael held out a buttered roll to me.

I mumbled my thanks before answering, "he's gotten better."

He grinned. "Well, that's good to hear. He's not as heartless as I thought."

I gave him an inquisitive look, to which he chuckled. "I'm kidding, mostly. But seriously, I'm glad he's starting to understand how important the bond is. It seems like you two were really feeling it when I walked in."

I took another bite of the bread before humming. "I guess. His wolf hasn't surfaced though, and I don't think it's great that he lowered his dose so quickly."

The waitress came by with our drinks, Michael giving our order, before walking away. He smiled softly before replying, "that's concerning. Has he had any withdrawals?"

"I don't think so," I frowned. "But then again, he tends to avoid me these days. We barely talk to each other, let alone stay in the same room."

I continued, "I don't know. Maybe he's just swamped with work, like he said, but I wish he'd just slow down and relax. It's like once something is happening between us, he suddenly realizes something and walks away as if hadn't happened."

Michael hummed before raising his glass of water to his mouth. "What do you think he realizes?"

"I wish I knew," I sighed. "But it's like he's trying to rush the process, and as much as I want to be mates with him, I don't think he knows what he wants."

"Like his wolf subconsciously wants one thing, and Vince wants another?"

"Maybe. I don't know." I frowned. "I mean that would make sense, I guess."

The waitress came by with our pasta dishes. Michael swirled his fork around before replying, "Well, I would be careful. Even if his wolf wants you, Vince should be on the same page. I'd hate for you to go through with anything if Vince wants something different. Especially if all he has his eyes on is the title."