Chapter 13

Thanks for the nearly 5k reads, I didn't think it was possible <3 Here's a much longer chapter.

Chapter 13

Simon's POV

"Alright kiddo, the snow cleared, time to get you home," I nudged Sally from her slumber. She groaned, turning to get comfortable again, but I kept pushing her to stay awake. It had been a few weeks I've reckoned living with Sally in the cave, and I had gotten to know her quite well. She was a lot more intelligent than I had assumed for someone her age, but then again her parents were probably rich and able to afford top-notch education for her. Surprisingly, she was also very keen with her senses and had pretty balanced hunting skills. She was able to track down a few vermin when I had lost their scent trail from the snow. Whoever her parents were, they had taught her the necessary hunting skills needed to survive on top of her basic schooling.

For the most part, they had done a great job of raising her, sans taking care of her emotional needs. But who was I to judge, when I couldn't even reign my own emotions.

Sally yawned before looking up at me with her puppy dog eyes. "I don't wanna"

"I promised I'd walk you back there once the snow cleared. Your parents are probably worried sick. It's been weeks, Sally."

"Can't I just stay with you?" She pouted before snuggling next to my side. For a second I wondered what it would be like to stay with Sally here. Living in a cave was far from ideal, but the idea of having someone who understands me despite being more than half my age didn't seem like such a bad idea at first.

Short-term, it had worked out, but there was no way I could raise a child long-term. I couldn't even handle unruly Cedar on my own for more than a few hours by myself. And just the thought of what had happened to my siblings because I couldn't listen to simple instructions qualmed any hope or desire to take care of Sally any longer. I couldn't bear the thought of the repercussions for putting her in any danger.

"You have a home there," I reminded her. "A pack to call home. Not some silly cave with me."

She stretched her legs out before replying, "and it could be your home too. You could get a real house, with doors and a bed!"

I smiled at that before walking towards the mouth of the cave before looking back at her. "This cave is quite cozy if you ask me. Now let's go before it starts snowing again."

She hesitated before following me out of the cave and towards the forest. Luckily, not many rogues were on site, and if they were, they minded their own business, either hunting a scent or merely strolling along. My old pack didn't have any hunters out today, which was a good sign, considering I had been chased by them on multiple occasions for simply disrupting their scent trails. Despite being deep in rogue territory, the pack had no issues with accusing us rogues of interrupting or ruining their hunting or scouting. Luckily for us, the recent snow probably deterred them from hunting.

The cave wasn't necessarily too far from the New Moon pack, maybe a little over a mile, but the trek through the dense woods and the occasional valleys and cliffs made the journey a bit tiresome. Although I knew these woods like the back of my hand, I made sure to rest for Sally and take easier paths even if it took twice as long. She didn't seem to mind, given her reluctance to head back.

"You know," she said during a short break. "When we get to my pack, I'll make sure to tell them to take you in!"

She seemed to hop towards me as we continued walking alongside a small stream. I smiled half-heartedly as I watched her prance about. "I'm not sure they'll allow that. It's been a long time since I've been a pack member, Sally."