Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Vince's POV

That bastard had really done a number on my shoulder and side. Chase had put my arm in a sling since the torn ligaments would take a few days to repair, while the three gashes on my side were healing slowly. It hadn't closed yet and even talking made it feel like it was on fire again. It didn't help that the bruise surrounding the wound was a nasty shade of purple, with patches of skin that looked black.

I was going to give Michael a good beating for this someday, alpha or not.

He had only been here for a couple of days and was already ruining the things I've done as alpha. Aside from demoting me, Michael had started drafting plans to reenvision the RCPP, allowing for any and all rogues to come through if in need of assistance. He wanted to forego any grace periods and disassemble tracking on rogues, making it easier for people to become a pack member. He was overhauling everything to make it just the way our father had it in the beginning. The same policies that had ended up costing his life.

What was worse, was that most of the council members actually like the idea of rolling back restrictions. They seemed to praise his ideas and plans. Despite agreeing with me about making it harder for rogues to get into our pack, they seemed to just scoop up his changes like it was such a good idea.

And better yet, Michael had taken it upon himself to bring Simon into the pack, just another nuisance. It didn't help that he allowed Sarah's rogue mate to join the pack too. I guess I shouldn't complain though, now that we actually had eyes on Simon now. But I still feared Michael was going to end up killing him or using him to get to me somehow.

The only real positive was that I didn't have to deal with as much paperwork, and I got to keep my place and belongings here at the packhouse. Other than that, it was a shit show having Michael run this place.

"Vince, we've got a meeting in ten," Dwaine said in the doorway. I groaned, scooting to the edge of the bed, struggling to force myself upright. I grabbed the suppressant medicine bottle, downing a few before grabbing a clean shirt from the dresser. Luckily the council room was literally down the hall, so it didn't really matter, but I didn't want to have an awkward run-in with Michael or Sarah before the meeting started.

As I walked down the hall, I could hear two of the council members walking up the stairs, a few whispering amongst themselves. "Can you believe what Vince did to him?"

The older one spoke, "all because of speculation? I feel so bad for Simon." I stopped in my tracks, watching as they walked towards the landing, not noticing me standing at the top of the stairs.

About halfway up the second flight of stairs, they stopped, tensing at the sight of me. The younger one bowed, before stuttering, "Uh-Um hello al-Vince. Sorry, we didn't see you there."

If there had been more time I probably would've reprimanded them for even mentioning his name, but we had a meeting, and it would've been awkward to be in a room with them after that. Besides, I was no longer alpha so I didn't have that authority. So I scowled at them before brushing it off and heading into the council room first.

A few of the members were already seated, Michael sitting where I normally sat. I sat at the far side, wanting to be as far from him as possible. The two that followed me sat closer to Michael, refusing to even meet my gaze. There were a few older council members that had served under my father as well, while the majority were newer, younger members such as the two that sat down. Maybe that was why they had agreed with Michael. They hadn't seen what letting rogues in meant, what it had done to the pack, to my father. But that was the thing. Michael had known what it did, so why was he so hellbent on letting them in?