Interlude - The Numerenai Guild

With the presence of monsters beneath the soil, an order of warriors was needed to fight specialized in defeating them and so the Numerenai were founded by Adam. They are commonly called Numer or "The Sleepless" because they cannot sleep. The Numerenai developed common practices and rituals to ward off the monsters that is practiced by everyday folk such as making light sources all around the camp. In the case of larger caravans or towns they hire a Numerenai bodyguard to keep watch at night.

Numerenai can come from any blood type and there is no real restriction on who can join or not. A Numer comes from eating the flesh of a freshly killed Night Blood and successfully surviving. Many large communities will have an unsanctioned Numer when they cannot pay, but they are typically untrained and die easily either from lacking medical treatment while transforming or killed by the monsters they fight. The guild of Numerenai specializes in both safely making new Numer and training them. Numerenai are then assigned to cities, nobles, caravans, and the like as bodyguard mercenaries to watch over and protect their charge in return for a fee.

The power of a Numerenai is to take on the curse of the Night Blood. While they are not killed in sunlight as the Cynn, they are noticably weakened. They can smell their kind, see in the dark, go years without sleep, and have been rumored to have other powers.

Shortly before Adam's death he created the head quarters of the Numerenai on the northern island of Refuge where it would be free of regulation in the lawless land.