Book 2.27 - Uncanny Resemblance

Mature Notice: This chapter touches on suicide.

----

Once, when we were young, Caius, Fereren, and I were playing in the palace garden and succeeded in escaping our guards. Caius and Fereren were particularly competitive and my brother's choice of contest was climbing a tree. Not one to want to be left behind, I participated and we made it to a higher branch. It was not high, but to us it was freeing. I remember Fereren said something about flying over the walls, and stood to make a bird impression. At this time I felt hands on me, and I went forward into him, and together we fell to the ground. Thankfully we were uninjured, but that did not keep Fereren from wrestling me into the grass.

The guards found us and the fallout was, well, it was intense. We had ruined our clothes and were covered in cuts, dirt, bruises, and bugs. I did not consider it a problem, it had been a fun day, but when it was brought to our father the King's attention, he did not agree. He wanted Fereren executed for failing to protect us.

We were in private, so my brother and I knew we could speak. I argued that I had been pushed onto Fereren, it was not his fault. A protest that fell on deaf ears, on the grounds I had no proof and there were no witnesses, and I suspect reflecting back, my protest was irrelevant. My brother also protested, but made it on the grounds that Fereren was heir to a noble house, and mercy could be utilized to our benefit. Father was pleased by this.

I cried to Abhdan of my failure and how Caius had to intervene to save my friend. His eyes darkened when I told him what my brother said, and he promised to accelerate my training. It was that day I devoted my interest to diplomacy and would later volunteer for the proposed hostage exchange between the kings of Ire and Kes.

Today as I stood in Revue's home looking down at Aelius sleeping, I remembered that choice.

Fereren sat in the chair beside the bed looking down at his son. He breathed a sigh of relief and patted the boy on the head gently. The other boys were asleep as well after what had been an eventful day, based on what we could put together. He stood up quietly and we went downstairs. He thanked them again and asked they take care of him the next several days while we work. They agreed firmly, even adding they would find someone to remove the tattoo from his hand. This puzzled Fereren until the slave mark was explained.

He left, his eyes sharpened and convicted. Koj'Ineh stood outside waiting for us. Fereren didn't say a word, nor needed to. He was ready. We all were.

Koj'Ineh'Mirrad lead us to the ports where an unmarked ship rested. No name, no flag, it looked deserted, but still with the fresh paint smell. "Are you sure this is the right one?" I asked as we stepped on deck. The lanterns were unlit, but it shouldn't be a problem, I had never heard of Night-Blood's attacking navy vessels.

"Yes, either this is the one Caius told me about, or we going to have to explain ourselves soon." Fereren stepped up to a door leading down and tugged on it. The door opened easily. He shrugged. "Unlocked."

"I will watch for intruders." Koj'Ineh said.

"Yes, please do, keep an eye out." 

"I prefer to keep my eyes inside."

We entered in. The second deck was wide open and largely empty from step to stern, or whatever the navy call it. The only thing to be found was in the far front was a table on which was a lantern and a series of chairs. Fereren picked up a ward stone and flicking it with his belt knife lit it. The illumination revealed a handful of Imperial Tower coins, writing paper, ink, and short quills, a cushioned chair opposite of us, and a small box. The box itself had horn plates, goblets, utensils, and a dirty glass bottle of water. What drew Fereren's eyes was the table as  it was a detailed map of the city.