Chapter 15.5 - What was Inevitable

The general's hands were retired but his feet were left free. He was placed by Izthark to the side,, standing of his own free will. It looked awkward.

The Aeterna said, "Bring the Chancellor."

The Chancellor, shaking as he was, needed assistance rising and sitting. The full attention of the sun was on him and he had just witnessed one man taken to his death and the other spared for the time being. I imagined he was bewildered and uncertain and equally in awe and terror.

"You are the Chancellor of Kes." The Aeterna observed.

"I-I am."

"I know of you, though we had not directly met. I am well traveled, and so had the privilege of seeing your holding once. My servant, Izthark, witnessed you the last few years as well."

"I see." The Chancellor cleared his throat, and tried to smile. "Go-good for me then that my reputation preceeds me."

"No. Bad." The Aeterna refuted. "While you earned your way to where you are, upon reaching it, all I have observed is corruption and inefficency. Not all of it I put on you, as I believe the king encouraged it, but I don't need incompotence and corruption."

"Corruption?! Incompotence!?" The Chancellor balked, insulted.

"I am well-versed in reading law. You have too many laws written in such a confusing, contradicting manner that no one can comprehend it and nothing can be done with it among the common judges except for the scant few who can see its design as the loophole it is. I do not put on you anything for the court the king chose nor his decisions. I do question your choice to rebel against the king in instituting a new one, but that was seemingly without bloodshed so I will not attach anything more to it then the nature of politics."

"Am I to say nothing in my own defense?"

"You could if I had anything for you to defend against. Truth be told, I have no reason to have you killed. Writing law in such a manner is not so grotesque or obvious as the acts of the priest nor the late king, nor as questionable to an outsider as what the general was put to. Then between the incompotence the king surrounded himself in and his own vile designs, it may be impossible for either of us to know your role. Incompotence is not somethign to die for, or all the world would die. Just as there are those above the standard, there must be people below."

"You..." The Chancellor gasped, though out of relief as his shoulders rose and tears of joy filled his eyes. "Aren't going to kill me?"

"No. I'm going to give you a chance." The Aeterna decided. "You will start over as a nobody with an extremely small territory and will be held to my exacting standard. You may earn your way up again, but it will require compotence."

"A nobody?!" The Chancellor breathed. His joy fell. He was still happy to live, but also horrified to be reduced to nothing. "But- but I have land I can offer!"

"Land I am taking."

"I have wealth! Women! Vineyards! So many herds and-"

"What is wealth to someone who owns everything? What is women to a man with no interest? What are vineyards and herds to someone with no desire? Look on me, chancellor. Look at what I wear. My meals rarely extend past water and bread. I might drink, but socially. Comprehend me and think what value is anything you have to offer?"

The Chancellor shook. I knew him well enough to know he had nothing to offer. It also made me wonder, what did any of us have to offer? Why did the Aeterna spare the general despite the general insulting him with questions yet kill the priest who started to worship him?

"Then..." The Chancellor asked meakly, "Why would you, a man with no desire or interest as you say, have such a will as to conquer the world? What would drive such a man?!"

The Aeterna, to my surprise, smiled, at being questioned. "So you do have a mind. Take him away."