Interlude - Bane of Maloch

Adam left behind the mansion. The prince of Kes intrigued him, but time and the judgement of Izthark would determine the value of the noble. The prince was quite unlike his great-great grandfather who established the kingdom in its current form.

"Why do you humor him?" His companion questioned. The woman in armor stepped into the shade and roped her arms together. Her posture was aggressive and angry, even if her tone was controlled.

"The better query is why are you questioning me when he is not in your charge? The Kes-Blood prince is not your concern." She scoffed.  He refuted her, "Enough. Control yourself. You have a job to do. The Aeterna is coming and this holding has surrendered under your watch."

"You owe me that king-"

"I owe you nothing but your received appreciation and obedience. The charge for the Kes king is Izthark."

"Yet he follows this one instead of the little brother."

Adam nodded. "Yes. An interesting choice in its own right. And before you bring it up the replacement for Caius has been chosen as well and it is not you."

"Why?!"

Adam turned sharply, walked up to her, and looked her the eye. He was a full head shorter, but she cowered back from him, and turned her head shamefully.

"Do you really need to ask why?" He whispered. She said nothing. "Behave. Think. Have faith. I sent you here for the same reason I sent Izthark there."

A moment passed, and she nodded. "I'm sorry."

"Words are empty. Do better." Adam stepped back and surveyed the courtyard. Izthark had disappeared. "Now where did he go?"

The air imploded and snapped in on itself as his companion disappeared out of view. He faintly heard a series of pops, and one squeal of surprise, from within the mansion. A moment later she returned in front of him.

"Found him." She said tersly.

Her tone set him on edge. "How bad?"

"Bane-of-Maloch bad."

"Damn," Adam hissed. "Take me outside the room."

She nodded, took his hand, and as he blinked he stood in an upper hall between various rooms. The light fixtures swang, the paintings banged on the walls, dust blew into the air, and a servant at the end of the hall dropped her goods with wide-eyed shock. Adam smiled and waved.

His companion knocked on one the doors. Inside there was an audible sigh followed by "Come."

Adam put on his warmest smile and entered. Thankfully the scene had not progressed to undressing but from the vast distance between Izthark and the priestess, and her head being redder than apples, that stage hadn't been far off. Izthark took the same argumentative, obstinate posture  as the one behind Adam had, snd the priestess looked down shamefully wringing her hands in her clothes.

"You had to ruin a delightful moment, old man." Izthark mumbled.

Adam ignored him, and put the entirity of his attention on the priestess. "Hello, my dear! I am looking for someone. What is your name?"

"M-Michelle."

"Perfect!" Adam clapped. "The duke was just asking for you! The Soran are most interested in hearing of your sect."

"Really? But i am a woman, it is not proper that i-"

"Oh pish-tosh! The soran make no distinction, ignorant as they are. They are instead driven by insatiable curiosity and will not be content until their questions are answered! The duke, understandably, will accept exceptions if it means pleasing the servants of the Aeterna on this special day. Now you could wonder where are your supervisors and you might think this is but 'settling for you' but i think you should see this as oppurtunity to do something good. And if you see opportunity for good and do not take it, is it not ill?"

"Yes, quite." The priestess bowed. Over the course of his words she regained her composure, and, straightening herself out, left with cheerful thanks and wishes to see Izthark later with bated breath.

Adams companion closed the door behind her and just as quickly Adams composure fell.

"Drop it." He said. A moment passed, so Adam stepped up to Izthark and pulled his arms out of their roped position.

A knife fell from Iztharks sleeve, impaling itself into the wooden floor. It was a relatively cheap knife, but on the hilt was an emblem of a cow head.

Adam sighed. Izthark turned his head away and the armored woman cleared her throat nervously.

"This is why I sent you to Kes and not here." Adam said. He stooped down and took the knife. "You may have this back, later."

Looking between them both, Adam pinched his nose at the base. "Like dealing with children."