Chapter 2 - The Empty House

(Fan Art of The Aeterna by my lovely Friend Christy!)

Adam was not fond of loud noises or clamorous gatherings. If left to his own devices he would observe the passing of time from a distance, unconnected and uninterrupted, allowed to merge into the faceless masses when curiosity strikes him and entitled to disappear into time and the passing of age for another generation.

But the Aeterna Emperor had a goal. Goals had objectives, and in achieving these milestones is certain expectations and responsibilities. Such as being the one in the literal and figural illumination of everyone's center of attention. He had made measures to assure he would be the one in control. The one at the center of the world.

It was too late to complain now.

Adam the Aeterna Emperor opened his eyes. He concluded his meditation, rose to his feet, and descended from the top of the tower. At the bottom step leading to the next floor was a Soran-Blood attendant at rigged attention. Hearing him descend the steps, three more attendants, a Kes-Blood, a Ire-Blood, and a Ne-Blood, all rose from where they were sitting and stood in anticipation.

His clothes sat neatly on a desk. He frowned at the sight of it, but motioned to the clothes all the same. Silently they stepped forward and binded him with his outer robe, entwining gauntlet, tight leggings, and clattering shoes. On his head, neck, wrists, and ankles were dangled gaudy jewelry and metal chains of different kinds and weights.

He broke the peace, commanding, "Send for Jyestha and Izthark."

Immediately the four attendants rushed down into the tower and returned with them. Jyestha bowed. She said nothing, but the shivers and ways she seemingly couldn't decide where to put her hands told him of her excitement. Izthark was a few steps behind her snickering on seeing her composure.

"It is time," The Aeterna confirmed. "Bring them."

"Yeah, Nana." Izthark smirked.

Immediately she disappeared, making a brief squealing sound before popping out of existence.

Izthark looked to Adam and said, "No rebuttal? Its like she didn't even get the insult."

"Probably too excited to care. It is a big day after all."

"Yeah, but that just takes the fun out of it. At this point if she tries to get revenge in any fashion, I will know I won." Izthark leaned against the wall, pulled out his knife, and started biding his time by rolling it across his fingers. Adam rolled his eyes.

They only had to wait a short time before Jyestha appeared again. They were both excited for her return, but her manner of return dashed it. She returned stumbling and fell to the ground, groaning and making a racket. She took her helmet in broad daylight and threw it and threw her face into the ground to scream and cry. Her helmet clattered across the ground to Adam's feet.