Chapter 13 - Path of the Night

We did not go far for the first day. We climbed halfway up a small mountain overlooking the city and stopped to convene. The army of Soran marched closer, but only enough to allow the second army into the narrow valley.

"Here." Izthark said, handing me a telescope.

"Thank you! This was sorely missing before. No man should be without one!" I said the ending in the same monotonous tone echoed by everyone, as if its to be a reminder.

"I don't need one, but it didnt pass my notice you came here with, quite literally, nothing but one of my arrows and the clothing on your back."

"Kingslayer is a spear." I correct him.

"Its an arrow."

"What arrow is this long??" I wonder holding it up for emphasis.

"What spear has a nick to place a string!?"

"Arrows are straight!"

"It is straight, just spiraled! Better velocity!"

"Fine! Prove it."

"This bow on my back isnt for show!"

"That 'bow' is the size of a siege weapon! Gawdy and far too large for any man." I outstretch my arms for emphasis.

"Then i will take your bet. Choose a visible target, no matter how far."

"Any distance? Rediculas." I glance around, but decide to do better and use my telescope. On the peak of a mountain as far as i could see was a statue of a bronze cow man with his hands put together as if to hold something over a pot. Far enough to hit the pot, but lets not damage anything. Instead, northward, i see a family of fawn. One has spots on its thigh.

While i am looking i hear some kind of metallic clanking. I stop to see Izthark had taken his bow and prepared it. It was no normal bow, but could attach itself firmly to a three legged stand, and a hollow barrel inside. Izthark took one of the spiral spears from his back and slid it into the barrel.

"So what is the target?" He asked.

"I-uh," taking a moment to conpose myself after seeing the setup, i pointed into the far valley. "There is a family of deer. Hit the one with spots on its right thigh."

"Very good! If i hit it, you will carve off enough for us and sell the rest for our expenses. If i fail, i will buy from a local butchery the same. Fair?"

I scoff. I could see him hitting a nearby target even with his machine, but the fawn was far even with a telescope. "Fair."

Izthark smiled with the fun, took off his blindcloth, lowered his hood, took the end of the trebuchet with both hands, braced backwards with his feet until he was nearly laying down, turned the aim, and after nearly thirty seconds of unblinking focus, released.

It was like a explosion as the machine snapped in on itself and the arrow-spear screamed its way down. A ripple exploded in the air like thunder.

Izthark fell back, clutching his eyes painfully as mich as i covered my ears. "What was that?!"

"Did I win?" He groaned. I needed a moment to clear my hearing to get the question, but i did check.

The deer was down.

Izthark chuckled. "I shall take your silence as victory!"

We went down and butchered the deer as best we could. Admittedly, despite the bet, Izthark needed to do most of the work. I was not feeble as my noble reputation but I was a far cry from a hunter.

"You surprise me. Didnt think you could handle a knife at all. Surely, i thought, you would cut yourself more than her." Izthark commented.

"I surprise myself." I admitted. "I find myself going back to the singular good memories of my father. He took me hunting. I lost my meal at the sight, so he required i attend more hunts until i lose such weakness."