Chapter 1 - Approaching Menace

It was early when my day started, even earlier than the days before.

The dormant sun burst to life and with it evoked screaming. In the cobbled courtyard, a dozen Cynn-Blood were tied to posts. The moment the sun's rays reached them, their curse set itself in motion. Their skin burned black, and steam rose from their flesh. Their hair burst into flame, smoke escaped their lungs, and their blood boiled.

I hurried through the courtyard, looking down and away from them, bearing their eyes on me. Above me, Kes's king basked in the obscenity, his head high and eyes upward, taking it all in. My lip curled in disgust; nevertheless, I had much to say to him, and, hopefully, this would have left the king amenable.

The castle guard straightened as I approached and opened the palace's outer gates wide. The inner door was a few gilded halls more, where beyond lay the throne room.

I twisted my ring around my finger, breathed in, steadied my frayed nerves, and breathed out. It had been years since my departure, but he needed to heed my warnings. There was too much riding on this.

A footman stood nearby and passed along my urgent request for entry. The king wouldn't be in the throne room yet, and his aides would be getting ready to serve him. The door attendant earnestly requested I find a comfortable space to wait in, but I politely shook my head. Several passersby stumbled awkwardly or jerked their heads sharply upon seeing me. I smiled in greeting and stepped forward to speak with them after so long, but something struck them fearfully, and they hurried away. More so, few of the factotum and guards were recognizable. What had become of my teachers, the house servants who had known me since birth, the guards who struggled to keep up with my youth? Their unusual absence set a stone in my stomach.

The aperture opened, and the door servant announced, "May I present to his royal highness, Valspear'Ronlin'Kes, son of-"

"He knows who I am," I interrupted.

Ministers who ate out of the king's hand, councilors who existed to agree with everything, governors whose positions and lives were dependent on the goodwill of the whimsical, ambassadors whose foreign diplomacy remained unheard, and more where all could be simplified to the useless, ignored, and corrupt. To crown the obscene contest sat Kador'Ronlin'Kes.

"You shouldn't dismiss the staff like that," The king chastised. In King Kador's hand was a dead snake he nibbled on raw. He smiled in amusement as blood and poison dribbled between his teeth. "After all, his job depends on being remotely useful."

"Father," I approached. "It has been some time, and I see the sun has blessed your youth. I'm glad."

My father smiled even as bile rose in my throat. The source of his youth was in sacrifices, or so it is claimed. I had never seen a man cheat death but never say never to a king.

"And you have grown tall in your years in Ire." Kador returned, "Here your little brother was hoping to gain something over you. Pity he is not here to be measured." He chuckled. I breathed out in relief. My brother is the last person I need to see right now. "I trust your time has taught you something practical."

I frowned but revealed nothing, despite the insult. The Ire-blood nobles had flaws but were honorable hosts and treated me well despite the hostage exchange.

"Yet," My father frowned, "It hasn't passed my notice that your presence is early. I never sent for your return. Why is this?"

"I was released to deliver a warning. The Ire fear the Ne's rising actions more than upholding treaties with you."

The attendants and ministers paused to hear, and my father leaned forward. I pressed on, "The sun has changed. Its cycles have shifted, but I have found it is not feral. The newly risen Empire and the sun are connected. The Ne has become united for the first time, and the one to unite them is the same man to have set the sun to its pattern!"