Chapter 12 - Planted Hope

I had to admit, his answer perplexed me. Adam, the founder of the Numerenai Guild, had died nearly hundreds of years ago. He claims to have no family name, which is fair for an organization that serves no nation and house. A group that answers to no politics, that has never been bought, and has no say. The Lawless Isle of the north has no natural resources to warrant interest, and this invisibility gave rise to people that want absolute anarchy and independence. The perfect place for a guild to be built by a founder written to have held as much interest in the world as the world held in him.

It was at this time that the servants were becoming particurally disgruntled, to the point of bringing in the aid of the head butler. He was a gangly man who I remembered as having an endless smile and a mustache that extended equally far. He grew it to weave into his ears because the children found it comical. He was pleased to see me again but requested we turn inside so they could finish the preperations for the feast.

Adam and I entered the mansion, and, wanting to continue to further myself in his eyes, looked for something to do together. I noted that Izthark was keeping his distance from me, but also ensuring I was in sight. Good, I wasn't in the mood for him right now, but it was good to see he was taking his job seriously, when he wasn't flirting with some girl in a white robe with horn symbols on the back of it. In the library I found a board game and began setting it up. Adam frowned at it, like it had insulted his father.

"You are not fond of games?"

"Games, yes. Games with rules, no."

I snorted. I observed, "You REALLY don't like rules."

"Rules in society create crime where it wouldn't exist otherwise. Anyone who knows the rules of games well enough can never lose so long as everyone else abides by them. Wars are made for something so insignificant as upholding rules they made up. How ironic that the game board with nothing but rules was made to replace war to which was also created to enforce rules or claim ownership of anything as if it is an extension of the self."

"Or maybe you just are afraid of losing."

Adam narrowed his eyes at me slightly, and I smiled innocently. Without saying a word he sat down, pulled the chair up opposite of me, and motioned for me to make the first move.

I began the game.

"Is Adam a form of rank or title?" I wondered. "Or were you named after the founder?"

Adam blinked, surprised by the query. His eyes briefly took off a faroff quality before returning to me in the present. He answered, "I am unsure. Though, from my understanding, it is perhaps both."

"Needless to say, Adam, you were named after a great man. I have, like many youths, dreamed of being a Numerenai. No, not for prestige or power, but to be rid of restraint to do something good where I find the oppurtunity."

Adam smiled. He leaned forward, saying, "We aren't partial to a man's reasons, I don't find any motivation inherantly wrong, but I like the ones like yours. They're uncommon. If you truly wish to be a Numer then I can make the transition safe."

"Don't tempt me!" I laugh. "I just might take you up on it! But no, I was born a prince. I was born with a power no Numer can claim and a responsibility I will not throw to the wayside just because my dream can come true."

"The offer is always on the table."

I saw my chance, and went for it. I favored Adam despite the short time, but I felt a connection with him that, at the very least, offered a basic friendship. If it could be to our advantage, all the better. I moved a strong piece forward along his flank.

"Thank you, but, if you will, I would like to propose a different offer."

"Oh?" Adam leaned back, roped his arms together, and asked with a smirk, "What might that be?"