20. Tainted

Please leave a vote before you start reading. 😘

I walked out of the school building holding Leaf's hand as she told me about her love life. The day went fabulous. I had swimming practice. Ann gave me a test and I nailed it with Leaf cheering me on. Leaf, Ann and I formed a friendship bond. It's amazing. I still haven't told anyone about who I am, for a week now and I wasn't planning to tell anyone until I find a way to master my abilities.

Anyway, back to my amazing day. After swimming class, we followed Leaf to find and heal a pregnant Jackalope, well, Ann did the healing and Leaf did the tracking. I tagged along for the excitement and to learn how to hike through a forest. Then, we came back and helped the lunch lady organise and wash the dishes. It was fun playing and singing as we worked.

The one thing we all had in common is, we love animals and helping people.

"…so I thought maybe if I said hi one time, he'd like me or just be my friend but it didn't go so well. He only insulted and disgraced me. I don't have any friends and things don't bother me that much so I don't care too much about my useless love life. What he did hurt though,"

"You have two friends now," I said smilingly, squeezing her hand softly. She giggled and bit her index finger shyly. "As for your love life, let it go. Don't push it, Leaf, you'll never know when fate will give you a gorgeous mate,"

"I'm a tree nymph, we don't have mates,"

"That doesn't mean others who have mates won't be tied to you. Trust me, I know." I smiled as I remembered Ace being mine. I really needed to talk to him, but again, maybe I should stick to what the librarian said and go with the flow.

"Is it possible to get mated to a water elf?"

"Elves don't have mates,"

"A girl can dream," she shrugged. "Is it possible for a werewolf to get mated to a tree nymph?" She asked, looking at me with big curious eyes.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "Maybe if the moon goddess sees it fit,"

"Maybe? So Gomez can't be my mate?"

"Gomez? Like the same Gomez I know?"

"Yes," she giggled. "Gomez is kind and smart—"

"Smart?" I snorted. Gomez is dumb.

"Gomez is smart and wise," she said again, glaring at me to agree. I raised my hands in surrender. "Gomez is the only guy in school who doesn't hate or bully me—"

"Dermot and Ace…?"

"You know everyone can't know me. Even if they do, they snub me. Gomez, however, is always there to assist me. He helps me whenever he is around and saves me from bullies when he catches them. There's this thing about him that makes my heart beat, something about his goofy grin that makes me wanna purr. Although he has never laid a finger on me anytime we are together, he is still nice to me."

"Okay…?" I drawled. "That's nice," I smirked. Her face turned pink.

"Oh, stop that!" She said and stomped her foot childishly. "I was just telling you how I feel. Don't think so fast,"

"Yes, Gomez is a very nice guy," I exaggerated her words, making her light green face turn hot pink.

"He's nice! There was this time I got hurt and was leaping like a broken frog…"

"Broken frog?"

"Just focus on my story," she said exasperatedly, throwing her hands up. I laughed and nodded. "Nobody cared to know why a large thorn was stuck to my knee. I couldn't remove it but he came and saw it, he helped me—"