24. Violet Eyes

"The kids love you." Ned remarked as he walked Hayley back to her room for the second time that night. 

"I love them... I forgot how fun that age was." Hayley agreed. "You have some good kids." 

"Thank you." Ned smiled to himself stealing glances at her as they walked. 

"You know I heard some shouting earlier." Hayley offered gently. 

"You heard that?" Ned questioned with a sigh. "I'm sorry. I didnt realize we were so loud." 

"Marriage is hard. I get it." Hayley assured. "I love Jon. I have unofficially adopted him." Hayley added and Ned's step faltered before falling back into step with her. "He's great. I want Arya too." She admitted. "They remind me of me. I think Rickon and Bran need to be officially adopted into my pack as well."

"You have a pack." Ned remarked. "Wow, day one and you are already closer to my children then their own mother." 

"Reincarnated badass." Hayley reminded him. "I'm pretty damn cool."

"Thats not why they love you." Ned corrected honestly. Hayley pushed her door open. 

"You want to tell me about the nights watch? Or your brother Brandon?" Hayley pondered. "I'm a good listener." 

"You really did hear everything." Ned remarked as he followed her in without hesitation. Hayley nodded pouring them a drink. Ned moved to the window opening it up, Hayley stared back at him as the moonlight glowed around him. The curtains waved in the breeze and Ned took a deep breath of the fresh frozen air before joining Hayley. He made a fire to keep his hands busy while he told her of Brandon, it seemed a lesser pain to admit his wife didnt love him and he didnt think he loved her either. As opposed to Jon to which he didnt know what he was going to do. 

 Ned Stark had married Catelyn in Brandon's place, as custom decreed, but the shadow of his dead brother still lay between Ned and Catelyn, as did the other, the shadow of the woman he would not name, the woman who had borne him his bastard son. Hayley saw the pain on his face. 

Ned moved back to close the window taking in another deep breath of the cold before closing it up. He turned to Hayley and the fire crackling beside her. She stayed silent but reached a hand out for him. He sat beside her. 

"I'm sure all the ladies will tell you a different story." Ned remarked. "about Jon's mother." 

"Women love gossip." Hayley agreed. 

They whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat. And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur's sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the Summer Sea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes. 

"Violet eyes." Hayley remarked. "That must be a sight to see."

"I wouldnt know." Ned remarked. 

"I figured you werent telling who she was." Hayley assured. "But there are people with violet eyes and yet your daughter does not believe in werewolves and vampires?" Ned laughed out. 

"I'm glad you understood the moral of the story." Ned mused. 

"I'm great at taking cues." Hayley agreed. "For what it's worth..." Hayley began. "I told this to Jon too, I know she was a good woman or child because you people marrying off children is still disgusting to me." Hayley added and Ned laughed and it felt good to laugh, she made him laugh so easily. "But I know she was a good person."

"How do you know?"

"Because of you and Jon." Hayley remarked. "And also that I know Catelyn was chosen for you or else I would think you and Robert have terrible choices in women." 

"Thank you for that." Ned agreed. 

"And I know I never met your brother but from where I'm sitting there would have never been any competition between you and Brandon. I would pick you every time." Hayley declared. "best stark title though... I dont know Rickon is going to give you some competition." 

"Thank you Hayley. I cant remember the last time I felt so... alive. Alive just sitting here." He remarked. 

"Glad a dead girl could bring you back to life." Hayley agreed leaning into him. Ned wanted to kiss her and it was good she wasnt looking at him or else he wouldnt have been able to stop himself. His hand moved slowly though, interwinding his fingers with hers. 

"I suppose this is the part where I say good night." Ned remarked softly after a long moment of silence. 

"That would be the proper thing to do." Hayley agreed but neither of them moved. "Or-"

"Or." Ned agreed immediately. 

"Or you stay and we talk until we fall asleep." Hayley offered. "Nothing scandalous about that, just two friends and a fire." 

And thats what they did. 

+

In the morning though Hayley was starving. She looked to Ned as his arm had wrapped around her in the night, her head on his chest. Talk about one night stand with your clothes on Hayley thought then remembered the last one night stand that ended up in getting pregnant with a hybrids baby. A shiver went through her at the thought as she unraveled herself from Ned. 

Ned was not Klaus. Ned was the opposite of Klaus. 

"Starving. Getting food." Hayley whispered tugging on a sweater before heading out. Ned heard the click of the door and woke disoriented. Where was he? Why was he on the couch? Whos room- then it flooded back to him. He looked around looking for Hayley but she was gone. He slipped on his shoes and headed out quickly, if anyone were to see him leaving Hayleys room, even though they didnt do anything but talk rumors would spread and Robert, well Ned didnt think Robert would quite like that Ned fell asleep next to his mother. 

Ned saw Hayley down the hall and raced to catch up with her though. Her nose seemed to lead her Ned thought as she walked with purpose towards the kitchens. 

He knew he shouldnt have been chasing after Hayley, he was the lord of winterfell but she was a woman worth chasing after.