CHAPTER THREE

Kemi Barre

Kemi Barre

Last night, I fell asleep listening to my playlist of Nickelback songs. I usually spent my nights crying after all the horrible things I experienced in school daily.

Tendai had called me last night. It was strange. He who had never defended anyone at the school had finally decided it was time to speak up! What a loser! I checked my messages.

Mae had sent me a message. Addie, I found out the punishment that HM gave Kemi, Liz and Raven! They are to come every weekend to do general cleaning of the school for one month.

Apparently their parents are unhappy but they couldn't accept a suspension at this time because we are in our final year. I heard that Raven's dad told HM that his daughter cannot clean toilets because she wasn't raised to do that.

HM told him that for what they had done, they were lucky not to have ended up on the internet or worse Jensen's dad hadn't sued them.

I was up early today, I have decided not to get any more issues because of late coming. I got up and did my morning routine. I found mom preparing breakfast. Soren was still dressing up.

"Ade, you are already awake!" mom said.

Dad strolled into the room. I hadn't seen him in days because of his schedule.

"Good Morning Ade, I have been told about what happened yesterday," he said. I think that what happened was really bad, this girl Kemi stay out of her way. She seems dangerous.

Dad, I don't want drama with her or her friends but they continuously target me because of my color.

"Ade, your color is beautiful, you should be proud of it," he said.

I know dad but they constantly make me feel like I am worthless.

"Ignore them, don't allow their words to get to you," he said.

Easier said than done!

Soren entered the room. "Dad, we've not seen you for days now," he said. Soren hugged him.

"How's school son?" dad asked him,

"School is okay, I wanted to tell mom something yesterday but Addie's news took over the day," he said. Yesterday, I was invited to participate in the school's spelling bee competition.

That is good news, Soren.

Dad and mom hugged him. "So, when is the spelling bee?" mom asked.

"It's over the weekend," dad said.

This good news made all of us cheerful. I also forgot about what was waiting for me at school.

As soon as mom drove off, Kemi, Raven and Liz walked up to us.

"Adessa, what is wrong with your mom's face?" Kemi asked. Why is she always hiding behind that veil? I heard that she got disfigured because someone set the house she was in on fire. Apparently she was there with someone's husband!