CHAPTER THIRTY TWO

Uma Gracewell

Uma Gracewell

Last night Grayson and I tried again to have sex again but we failed to. He failed to erect again. We agreed to try again today before I return home. Grayson and I left the bedroom so that we could prepare breakfast. We could hear loud music from the staircases coming from the kitchen. Who do you think is playing that music?

"I don't think it's Nadia," Grayson said. It must be one of mom's lovers. She didn't stay true to her word.

Grayson was so disappointed but he was entirely wrong about it being Poppy's lover. It was Poppy listening to music while preparing breakfast.

"Mom, you're the one cooking!" Grayson said.

"Yes, I wanted to cook for my children," she said.

Her intentions were good but she really didn't know how to cook. She was preparing an English breakfast but had burnt the toast and bacon.

Grayson rushed to help her.

"Mom, thanks for thinking about us but let me take it from here," Grayson said.

He picked the spatula from her and tried to save the bacon which hadn't burnt yet. Poppy was offended.

"Grayson, let me cook for you guys," she said.

"Mom, you need some more cooking lessons, right now you're burning the food," he said.

Poppy was still mad. She began cursing in a language I didn't understand.

Grayson talked to her in the same language.

"Okay," she said and left.

Grayson, what did you tell your mom?

"I told her that she's embarrassing me in front of my girlfriend," he said. She was calling me out in Greek for not allowing her to cook for us.

You're Greek!

"Yes, mom has Greek heritage," he said. Dad is English, no other heritage.

"Mind blown." I said.

What about you?" he asked.

I am obviously not originally from here. I am half Ghanaian and half Sierra Leonean.

"I used to think you were partly African and Jamaican," he said.

The way you dress sometimes and the food you brought to class last time.

I see, I don't think you have many black friends. You can't tell the difference.

"You're the first black girl I ever dated," he said.

Weren't you friends with Tendai before? How come you know little about black people?

Tendai and I weren't close. I have attended a party at his home before but only because he invited all the guys in the football team.

Well, I sometimes dress in Kente. It's a material that is popular in West Africa. The stomach of the cow is a popular food in many African African countries.