CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Pastor Stuart Kwakye

I had some formal clothes in my closet. I settled for a burgundy dress I had in my closet that I had put on once to the wedding of one of the Church choir members. I had told dad about the party and he had given me permission to go. He and mom expected me back home by 10 p.m. I dressed up and when I was ready, I got a taxi. It drove me to The London Marquis. The grandest hotel in the city. Jensen was outside the hotel greeting guests with his dad.

"Hi Addie," he said. You look gorgeous.

You look dapper yourself.

Roman was busy talking to a guest, he didn't notice me.

"Go to the Imperial Crystal Ballroom," he said.

I had never been to the London Marquis. Inside, it had expensive marble tiles and the chandeliers were magnificent. Hotel staff led me and other guests to the Ballroom. The decor in the ballroom was elegant. The chandelier was as beautiful as the others I had seen in the hotel and was sparkling. The furniture was fine. They had beautiful designer curtains. As we walked, they gave us menus.

"Can you select what meals you want to eat," a waiter asked.

There were three options on the menu for each course. I chose a mixed green salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette for my appetizer. Slow roasted pork belly with apple chutney and garlic mashed potatoes for the main course and finally for the dessert I chose Fresh fruit tart with pastry cream and glazed berries.

I spotted Brielle chatting with her friends. They were the only people around who I recognized. I walked up to them.

Hi Brielle, can I sit with you?

"Yes, it's fine," she said.

Some two kids who were Blasian came and greeted Brielle.

"Eunji and Sooyoung, how are you guys?" Brielle asked.

"We are fine," Sooyoung, the older of the two, responded.

"Brielle, did you bring us some sweets?" Sooyoung asked.

"Yes but your mom said that I shouldn't give you sweets anymore because of your teeth," Brielle said.

"We promise to brush our teeth after, pretty please!" they both said.

A woman walked up to our table. This must be Jensen's step mother. He had told me that she was Korean. I had never seen her before because Jensen said she disliked public events. His step mother was carrying a toddler and was pregnant.

"Hi Brielle, I hope they are not disturbing you for sweets," she said. "No, they were just greeting me," Brielle lied.

The woman turned her head and noticed me. She walked up to where I was seated on the table.

"Hi, Adessa Kamara," she said. I am Oh Soo, Jensen's stepmother. I have heard a lot about you from him. Oh, you must be wondering how I know you're Addie. I have seen you in photos he has shared on his social media accounts.