CHAPTER TWELVE

Afua Kamara

Afua Kamara

I had already spent six days at Tendai's home. Time had flown by so fast that soon the Easter holidays would be over. I was dreading this moment. Tendai told me on Monday morning about his dad's birthday which was on Wednesday.

"Dad has a lavish party every year," he said. This year he is throwing a barbeque themed party.

What about last year?

"Last year we went on a cruise," Tendai said. The party will begin at 4pm and go on till midnight.

For the next two days, I was under a lot of pressure. Ray was a billionaire so his party was going to be attended by people who were just like him. I needed to look my best and behave in a certain kind of way that I wasn't used to. I spent hours trying to find the best dress online for the party and also learn a few things here and there to impress people I didn't know.

"Addie, calm down," Tendai told me on Tuesday. Wealthy people are snobs, nothing you do will ever satisfy them.

"Let me take you shopping to buy a nice dress," he said.

Tendai took me shopping for the party, I was able to get a nice dress and shoes for the occasion.

On Wednesday morning, the events company that was organizing the party arrived at 10:00 a.m. to set up the tents and begin marinating the meats. The party was in the backyard garden.

By 3 p.m., the smell of meat was wafting into Tendai's room where I was.

That meat they are smoking smells good, I want to taste it.

"I forgot to tell you, on the menu there's crocodile, antelope, buffalo, goat, lamb, camel and kangaroo," he said. Have you ever tasted any exotic meat?

No. I thought it was only beef and chicken they would be barbecuing!

"That is too boring," Tendai said. Dad and his friends are well traveled. They have tasted a variety of meats during their travels. You heard him tell you about Kobe beef recently. Only rich people can afford that.

I will eat what I am used to, beef and chicken.

"You need to allow yourself to experience new things, Addie," he said. Come, go to your room and get dressed for the party. I am going to be your guide out there who will ensure you taste all the meat we have.

I joined Tendai thirty minutes later in the backyard.

"You look lovely," he said.

Thanks!

There were many chefs and each was grilling a different type of meat.

"Can you give us some of that," Tendai requested.

The chef who was grilling some meat picked a plate and serve Tendai some of it.

"What meat is this?" I asked the chef.