Say Something

*Nate*

Julia didn't call me. But she at least sent me a quick good morning text. I knew she would be busy today just by looking at the calendar on the app.

Trisha was assigned to make sure everything was all set for the upcoming Awards Gala. The event that all the show's winners are very excited to get invited to. Today was the final dress alteration day with Wardrobe, so everything would be ready in time.

Then Trish will bring her to pick out the accessories and tie up any loose ends. I've pretty much assigned her to be Julia's personal assistant as well. Most coaches don't do this, and the producer will hire some random runner to do this shit. I don't want that for Jules, and Trisha doesn't mind. I pay her well.

Walking from the studio room down the hall to the conference room, I look at my watch and notice the time. Almost 2:15pm. Shit. I double my pace, aware I'm running late for the interview. The interview Trisha made sure I did not cancel.

The interview- that I know full fucking well- will most likely change topics to discuss the photo that went viral. The photo of me helping Julia into the car last Friday night. The photo that ended up having a million different shit write ups and false information. The photo that had a lot of jealous and disappointed female fans who wanted me to stay single.

I fidget with my hair a little, and fix the collar of my polo shirt before opening the door. Along with the crew and reporter, is my publicist , Elliot Benson, who sits in on every interview. Damage control. Benson has been my lifesaver since I started as a teen. And he's damn good at his job which always puts me at ease during these interviews. Especially interviews with this specific reporter.

Flashing a smile, I sit down across from well known Susan Hardy, who works for Access Hollywood. A tall, thin brunette in her 50's who had way too much cosmetic surgery over the years .

Susan is a great journalist who has won many awards for her pieces. As a reporter, she is known to cross the line to get the information she needs for her stories. She pushes the envelope, and every celebrity dreads having to deal with her. Susan is anything but trustworthy.

Unfortunately, having to deal with her is all part of the job. But I've also been trained well.

I know how to act smoothly and put on the charm during interviews and in public.

I know what to say, when to say it, what to elaborate on and what to answer shortly without further details.

I know how to sit a certain way, when to make eye contact, when to smile, when to flirt, even so much as what I do with my hands and where I look. For the most part, I'm now also able to pretty much turn off my British accent when needed or let it flow, depending on where I am and the situation.

I've learned all this from years of media training.

"Miss. Hardy, Nice to see you again." Lie.

We jump right into the basics. All the generic questions are asked to start off the interview. We touch base on my upcoming album, possible plans to tour, as well as my experience as a coach on last season's America's Voice. She flirts with me, I flirt back, internally feeling myself get nauseated.

Nothing out of the ordinary and everything is running smoothly... until a text came through . Not able to have your phones present during interviews , I notice Susan glance down at her smart watch that had lit up. I watch her eyes scan the message without missing a beat, trying to be subtle and read her text. That's when everything changed.

I can already tell by the smirk on Susan's face that this is going to take a turn. It usually does with her, so I refrain from looking Elliot's way, who somehow also senses it, and sits straight up, being even more attentive. Something I didn't think was possible.