Paper Houses

I look at the beautiful dark green gown that hangs in the hotel room. Fitted perfectly for my figure, accenting on all the right features of my body. The tiny rhinestones around the top of the sleeveless gown adding more depth to the simple fabric.

I remember trying it on the very first time. I felt like I was an actress ready to win an award. I remember spinning around, taking it in from all angles the mirrors allowed. It was too long the time, but two fittings later and now the perfect length. The dress hugs my body all the way down to the ground, with one slit that goes up my left leg . A dress I will never get to wear.

I run my hands down the soft fabric one last time before my emotions get the best of me. I didn't realize how much I was looking forward to this event until I lost the opportunity to attend.

Once again, I fall back on to the mattress and let my tears flow. It was all a big mistake. We made it so far before everything came crashing down.

Around this time in a few days, I'd be walking the red carpet, with Nate by my side. I'd wear my favorite perfume, and he'd wear his hypnotizing cologne. We'd smile together and have the best night of our lives at the event. An event I've been prepping for since day one, now stripped away in a matter of seconds.

I stare at the gown one last time. I would have looked so pretty in it. I had already met with Holly and gone over how I wanted my hair. My shoes, clutch, and jewelry picked out weeks in advance, now will all get returned.

All the winning contestants and their coaches will be at the Gala. Everyone but me.

I'm doing this to save Nate's reputation. I'm doing this to protect his career. I have nothing to lose except the perks of being here. He has his whole future ahead of him to worry about.

He will be at the event like planned, in one of his nice suits, probably with someone else. He will walk down the red carpet with her, guiding her every step of the way since these events are nothing new to him, stopping at every photographer to get his photo taken. He will smile proudly and hold her hand as they move on to the next photographer and do the same. The photos will be all over the internet, all over Instagram, for his fans to comment on. Within minutes, he will have thousands of "likes" on each photo.

They will sit at their designated table, set to perfection with fancy tablecloths and napkins. They'll drink champagne throughout the awards, listen to all the presenters, clap at all the winners, and laugh at all the host's corny jokes displayed on the teleprompter.

When the ceremony is over, Nate will take her hand, and they will attend the after party. Drinking and dancing the rest of the night away in their fancy clothes. And when the night is over, Nate will probably take her home to his bed. Like everyone else, I will be just another woman from the past. Another awful mistake.

I rewind back and think of the beginning

The beginning of when our house of cards first started to sway -

Before it all came crumbling down.

*****

"I think we are very drunk again." I slur my speech as I pour the last few drops of whiskey in Julia's glass. She smiles at me, her eyes glazed over, her lips swollen from our constant kissing. Mac has cut us off for the night after we finish a bottle of whiskey. James probably texted Julia at some point and left. Paul patiently waits for my driver to come while babysitting us .

"You're gonna have to go back to your place tonight, though. I'm too wasted." Julia rests her head on my arm and closes her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." I whisper in her hair, meaning to lean down to her ear but not quite making it.