Chapter 10 - Real Wisdom

Sid was lying on the bed to take a nap. Sleep wasn't taking over him due to continuous thoughts of yesterday's experience.

He twisted and turned so much that his bones squished, but sleep still didn't find its way to the eyes. A moment later, however, it did begin to make his eyes heavy. Weary eyelashes slowly closed, and sleep at last came upon him.

All of the negative thoughts followed him like a shadow.

In his dream, Sid was walking in a dense forest alone at night. He kept on walking alone in the dense forest but found no way to get out of it. Fear smeared across his face under the thought of getting lost; his heart flooded with a concern that a wild animal would attack him from anywhere.

The wind began to blow from all directions, and a massive storm took place. The leaves scattered from the branches, and some hit Sid.

He was amazed at the very fact that the leaves were as sharp as a razor-edge, and they gave him cuts on the face, blood gushed out from the gashes. Why are they sharp like a razor?

The only way to escape this torture was to run, and he did it with his full energy. But more to his surprise all of a sudden, the scene changed. The dense forest transformed into an urban city, Sid caught sight of busy people walking on the street. He wondered where this place could be, and a little later, he got mixed with the crowd.

Not even a minute passed, and a massive digital billboard attracted his eyes, a sentence written in bold letters: "SEE GOD IN HERE." Curious, he rushed into the building but spotted Swami Mukhteshwar sitting inside as "God." Thousands of people were showering money and precious ornaments on his feet.

A grimace made its way up on Sid's face, and he walked out from there within the twinkling of an eye.

Sid aimlessly walked where his legs took him. He caught sight of a group of extremists was dragging corpses off somewhere. The scene was so horrific that terror jumped nimbly down his throat, and he could hardly contain the fear that rocketed inside him because the view was very horrifying.

Again the flip of the dream happened; the whole scene changed into the middle of a religious riot. People stampeded to save their lives from extremists, who were slaughtering anyone that got in their way. Sid's heart thumped like a snare drum; he ran with all energy to find a secure hideout.

Sid crossed the threshold of an alley and desperately searched for shelter. He turned around and saw a bunch of extremists heading towards him. They were holding swords and other weapons in their hands, smeared with blood.

Now he left with other options than to leap over some fences. And when he tried to jump over a wall, his hands got grazed by the sharp protection on it. He helplessly hid behind a car; the sound of the extremist group approaching him slapped his ears.

Tears well up in his eyes; this made him feel how it is like to experience the fear of death. His tears dampened his cheeks; all bittersweet memories were the only object of his remembrance. And when—

The eyes pulled open at once; Sid sat bolt upright in bed. His heart constricted with terror, but instant relief washed over him to realize it was just a dream. When he swept over his palm over his forehead, his fingers got damp with sweat.

He drank some water to wet his dry throat. Why I can't get over with it? He thought. Sid has this nature of being introspective about everything he comes across, but the kind of people he dealt with from past few days was nagging his mind. He just wanted to understand why in the world there are religious bigots like Nikhil and Kumar, religious hardliners like Raj, con-mans like Swami Mukhteswar, intelligent yet misled men like Prakash, and of course, there are thousands of people like them.