Chapter 49 - The Journey Home

Spiritual life is like shaving; a practitioner may end up grazing oneself without proper knowledge. This fact got clear as day for Sid. He gazed at Braja for a while and tried to figure out what must be churning in his head.

"Krishna's pastimes are fantastic," he said with a smile.

Beautiful? I'm here suspecting the Lord Himself, Sid thought.

"You see, I'd told you already, you can't understand pastimes of the Supreme Lord using your intelligence all the time." Braja's voice crystallized conviction. "Sometimes we have to apply the logic of love. If a devotee is sincere, serious, and devoid of ulterior motives, the Lord doesn't care His name getting malign. That's Krishna's love for His devotees."

He quickly quoted words of Krishna from Srimad Bhagavatam, which moved Sid to tears: I'm completely under the control of My devotees. I'm not at all independent because My devotees are completely free from selfish desires, I sit only within the cores of their hearts. What to speak of My devotee, even those who are devotees of My devotee are very dear to Me. Without them, I don't revel in My transcendental bliss and My supreme opulence. Pure devotees give up everything just to serve Me, without any desire for material prosperity in this life or next, how can I give up such devotees at any time? As expert women bring their gentle husbands under control by service, the pure devotees, who are equal to everyone and completely attached to Me, bring Me under their full control. The pure devotee is always within My heart, and I'm always in the heart of the pure devotee. My devotees don't know anything else but Me, and I don't know anyone else but them.

One may say how Krishna can be partial? God should be equal to everyone. We should understand that Krishna is partial when it comes to His devotees. At the same time, He invites everyone to become His devotees; this makes Him impartially biased. The choice is yours.

"Yes, He did use deceit and conspiracy." At this point, even Braja's throat got tight with emotions. "All those things He did just to help His devotees, the Pandavas. He loves His devotees so much that He doesn't care if people will judge Him, insult Him or say whatever they wish to say. I don't know about you, but I can't resist myself from loving back such Lord."

Braja's voice cracked on the last sentence, but he controlled his emotions because he thought it would be awkward. Sid's face, however, told another story since tears blurred his vision.

Yes! Hardly anyone is there who won't love such Lord!

He struggled not to shed tears, but they just streamed down. It's not a joke for a man to cry, yet it was happening because these tears were not ordinary, beyond bodily designation. Caused by the topmost consciousness, Krishna consciousness.

Just before five minutes ago or so, Sid doubted his spiritual journey as pointless. But now he felt all his struggle to seek the Absolute Truth, his steadfast determination, his intelligence, and his sincerity. Everything got rewarded.

Nothing in the material world could be as satisfying to the heart than this feeling. For the first time or rather after millions of lifetimes, Sid got a glimpse of what he always chased, cried, took birth again and again. The Krishna Love.

The world presents us with a conception of God, who is envious and condemn everyone for their sins, making them suffer in hell for eternity. Why our world only highlights this understanding of God?

Sid looked at Braja and joined his palm for thanking him, but he observed a faint smile turned into a frown on his mentor's face. "Having said that." Braja's voice held chastising tone. "Now on you shall read those books which I'll recommend."

Sid's face displayed an embarrassed look because of doubting Krishna. Deep in the heart, he loved this disciplinarian side of his mentor. "Aye, aye, sir," he said.