Chapter 20 - Teachers Required

The morning sun rays fell upon Sid's head, who was sitting on a campus' bench. Birds chirping voices were soothing, but it wasn't enough to uplift his spirit. He was still morose.

Although he set foot in the college in time, something made him procrastinate—or rather he purposely skipped the first lecture. His eyes moved towards the first floor at the classroom and thought about Raj who was in the lecture. Then his eyes moved towards the gate and thought about Ravi who was still probably sleeping in his home. Why is that sometimes your friends aren't there for you when you want them the most? At least they are not there when you want to pour your heart out to them.

Sid ran his fingers through his hair and heaved a sigh—

A cute looking girl headed towards him. She stood right in front of him, and raise her hand forward to greet him. "Hiya there!" she said while placing the other hand on her hips.

Sid's mind was observed in his phone, so he didn't notice Sara was standing in front of him. It took a while for him to realize someone was right in front of him. He looked up and set his eyes on her. Her fair complexion glimmered as a bright sun ray caressed her skin. Even a little blow of wind made her hair fly. If Sid stood up, her height would reach up till his eyebrows. She was wearing a white top and denim sky blue dungaree shorts.

Sid forwarded his hand for the greetings and whispered, "Hello."

"Hey, I need to make an urgent call, can I borrow your cellphone?" Sara asked. She clutched his hand like a soft cushion. Then he did remember she was a girl from different division of class, and he had noticed her once or twice.

"Sure." Sid handed her his cellphone with a pressed lip smile.

"Thanks!" The smile on Sara's face widened in a grin. "Just allow me a minute with your cellphone."

Sara did make the call but the interaction with Sid went on. She sat right next to Sid, not even waiting for him to move up aside. Her bare thighs touched Sid's. She sat very closely—surmise it to be her open nature.

When they started gossiping none of them realized how time passed so quickly. Sid and Sara talked with each other like long lost friends and didn't care to take notice about the commencement of the second lecture.

Till now they'd become good friends. Sid also added her on Whatsapp and Facebook. What he liked about her was, she was a super friendly girl and has no tinge of attitude (unfortunately which some girls do have). They both accompanied each other to the third floor of the college since they were pursuing the same degree course but in a different division. They waved hands at each other—which was a see-you-later sign—and parted to walk towards their classroom.

"Hey, Sid." Sara turned around, her voice loud enough to travel across the corridor. "I forgot to ask during our gossip. Who is your favorite teacher of our college?"

"My favorite teacher?" Sid scratched his temple and flashed a tight-lipped smile at her. "Never thought about it."

*******

"Teachers." Students were attentively listening to the economics lecture. Although Prof. Khera finished his duty, still fifteen minutes were remaining. So he decided to give some uplifting talk to the students.

He began his discourse, "In every field, there is a requirement for teachers. It is impossible to learn anything by ourselves. No matter in whichever field we are. Guru/teacher is that captain who takes our boat (life) towards a proper destination, learn to respect Guru." He paused and adjusted his thick framed spectacles since it was sliding downwards from his droopy nose.

"Just recently I'd visited my native place. There I came across with an old man; he was in a wheelchair. Perhaps he was counting last months of his life. I went towards him and touched his feet and told him." It's a tradition in India to touch the feet of seniors; out of reverence. Every student's attentiveness increased a great deal because curiosity filled their to know who was that old man. "Sir! You were my maths teacher, back then in my school."