Chapter 27 - Why To Be Good?

The flock of birds was on their way to find food. As always Sid was late, he was hurriedly walking towards his way to the college so that he can attend the first lecture. In the middle of the road, he ran into one of his classmates.

As both of them came close to the college campus, Sid caught sight of Sara and Pratik standing very close to each other, holding hands. Why the hell she's with him?

Pratik pecked her on the lips, and she ran away to attend the first lecture. Sid was taken aback by this; he couldn't believe his eyes that Sara fell for Pratik's tricks. Just a week or so Pratik himself admitted that he just wants to have her on the bed. Sara, who he knows can't commit such gross mistake and she really deserves a better guy than Pratik. Why in the world did she choose him of all the people?

"You know," the classmate mumbled, "Pratik had visited Sara's home, and on the terrace, they kissed. A friend of mine told me this."

Sid's mouth became dry, and his eyes were like hot marbles; maybe this classmate doesn't know that Sara is a good friend of Sid.

Pratik pulled out a cigarette from a Marlboro deck, lit it up and started smoking. Sid thought it's better to stride away as if no one exists around him. But Pratik stopped him. A scowl made its way up on Sid's face as he turned around to face him. The classmate moved on.

"You were saying that Sara doesn't give a shit to a guy like me. But I proved you wrong," Pratik exclaimed, his eyes glittered. A victorious smile spread across his face as if he deserves a Nobel prize.

"Every dog has its day," the latter replied with a tight-lipped smile.

Hard to say if Pratik was offended by that. Just after that, Pratik began to pull Sid's leg for his philosophical attitude since he got to know about it during the end meeting of NSS camp.

"What on earth you get by being good? Just look at me. I can make out with any girl I want. I'm bad, and girls choose bad boys over good." Pratik boasted proudly and stomped his fist on his chest.

"No, I don't categorize myself as good. In fact, good and bad is just a mental conception in this world." Sid leaned a bit forward and glared at Pratik, "I just love to slam people against the reality, and make them realize how shallow and bleak this world is."

Sid's words sent a shiver crackling down Pratik's spine; he spoke whatever that came to his mind, "But you have locked up yourself in this weird thinking of yours. But I'm not bound by anything; I can enjoy my life the way I want."

Sid let a chuckle escape his lips. He caught sight of one street dog barking at someone. A funny question gleamed in his mind. He began, "You see my thinking is not weird, it's just ahead of the curve. Look!"—He pointed his index finger at that street dog—"You mate, he also mates. You eat, he also eats. You defend, he also defends. He sleeps, you also sleep. So, what's the difference between you and him?"

Pratik felt a surge of anger, boiling him, he retorted. "You also do the same things."

"No! There's one major difference between me and an animal. For instance, when animals are lined up before slaughterhouse one by one, rest of the animals busied themselves in grazing. Now imagine if there is a slaughterhouse of human, would we keep quiet and let ourselves to get slaughter one by one? So this means a human can inquire about the fundamental questions of life. Now, tell me, have you ever introspected on your lifestyle?" Sid fixated his eyes on Pratik's face, which held an expression of bewilderment.

"I—I don't, I just live my life and don't worry about the past or future." Pratik was stunned with Sid's way of putting words, and he found it hard to come up with a tangible answer.