Chapter 44 - Tattva Darsinah

"And... This is my bedroom." Nehali spread her arms wide to reveal her new spacious bedroom. It was hardly describable how she felt. Finally she got what was needed: a safe house to live.

Sid smiled back and mumbled complimenting words. He was happy and hopeful. Maybe now she will read Bhagavad Gita. He even gifted her a new copy, and now his eyes were dying to see when she would start reading it.

"It would never be possible without you, Sid. You relieved me from a big burden." Nehali's eyes became wet. And why they wouldn't? Because she was redeemed from a crisis.

Sid maintained a smile on his face and then parted his lips into two to speak, but the voice of Nehali's mother interrupted him. Nehali had invited him for the lunch, it was basically a token of thanks for what he'd done.

The food was already served on the dining table. Nehali's mother specially made vegetarian dishes for Sid, but for daughter, it was a thing to ridicule. Because it was really unexpected for her, she even teased him with an Indian idiom: after eating hundreds rats, the cat goes on a pilgrimage.

Of course, Sid kept quiet most of the time. Because he didn't want to argue with her. He just said this: at least the cat has gone on a pilgrimage; certainly, she will have purification and won't eat rats again. Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

****

The food was delicious. During lunch Nehali's mother asked various questions to Sid. Actually she really liked him, and even declared guys like him are rare to find.

After lunch Nehali's mother took her younger daughter, Milo, for skating classes. Only Sid and Nehali were left in the house, but they won't do any hanky-panky that was for sure. In fact, a moment later Nehali got busy talking with a colleague on the phone. Sid waited her to complete so that he can take permission to leave. And it was done.

"Oh my God! Oh my God!" Nehali burst out, her face bloomed with happiness, her legs and hands were trembling as well as her lips. "You won't b-believe it ... I got promotion and fifty percent increment in my salary." She hugged Sid, almost jumping. (Now her salary will be twenty-eight thousand rupees.)

Wow, this was amazing. She got a new house to live, promotion and increment. Happiness must have chose to visit her house today. Really, tables are indeed turning around for her.

"Great! So now you can read Bhagavad Gita without any hindrance, isn't it?" the guy who got the lion's share in her present situation spoke up.

Nehali winced. "Yeah, I guess so." Her face lacked enthusiasm, Sid could see it. He even reminded her words: If I have financial stability like you do, if I have a safe house to live, surely then, I will read it. Now she has it.

"You know," she mumbled, "I have read a few pages of an ebook version. But you know .... It's ... it's—uh—quite draggy."

Sid tossed his eyebrows, while his hands landed on his hips. He parted his lips to speak, but Nehali cut him off, "Once I clear my debt. Surely then, I will read it peacefully."

"Um ... yeah, sure." Disheartened, Sid got his answer once and for all. He took leave from Nehali, though she insisted on staying a bit more, but he just walked away. His hopes were completely drowned. Maybe forever.

*****

Sid's breathing became heavy as he was climbing on the stairs, heading way up to his bedroom. His mom told him that there are two kids in his bedroom who happen to be his cousins. As he was getting closer to his bedroom, a boisterous laughter and yelling snapped at his ears.

He pulled open the door and caught sight of the twins. Their external appearance got him gazing: they seem to have passed twelve years of their life, and have donned themselves as a snappy teenager, wearing similar fashioned jacket and same ripped jeans, both of them had dyed a strip of their hair in golden color, which distinguished them as die hard fans of Dragon Ball Z.