Chapter 17 - Modern Ecclesiastes

The clouds of confusion were drifting through Sid's mind; it was like open-eyed nightmares. The ground below him was dragging him down to the world of pointlessness. Desires are the only cause of misery. Therefore, become desireless: these words kept on muddling his mind. Is that all you get when you're spiritual? End up in the Himalayas?

The sobering reality that he encountered was he doesn't know anything about spiritual truths. His head was now on the verge to erupt like a volcano, bursting anxiety and Cimmerian feelings.

As you know, Nehali has a nickname for him, but now it should be replaced by Gloomy Gus. This overdose of bleakness made him wonder why in the world he's after the knowledge which is so inconceivable?

The world is full of problems, correct, but we do have a desire to make it better. And then you reconcile it with this statement: desires are the only cause of misery, therefore, become desireless. It's like saying hunger is the sole cause of starvation. Thus, one must become hungerless.

Perplexity was the only thing that was cuddling his heart and soul.

This incident made the fact clear to him how difficult it is to cut off your attachment. His fingers reached toward his temple, rubbing the strain off.

He shot a glance out of the car's window and caught sight of the greenery falling behind.

This scene reminded him of those sweet family vacations, sitting to the window seat of their car, and see clouds traveling along with them. Those were the real days, no worry about any damn thing). The flowing air tore through his hair as he leaned toward the window.

Sid glanced at the driver's finger, which scanned the radio station and stopped it on 93.4, the song started with a guitar sequence. Sid couldn't figure out why but the music was somewhat working as an antidepressant to his bleak mood. A perfect example of how music can alter your mood.

Everybody's talkin' at me

I don't hear a word they're saying

Only the echoes of my mind

People stopping staring

I can't see their faces

Only the shadows of their eyes

Ravi nudged him. "Did you like the philosophy?"

A throe of agony constricted Sid's heart, spiraling up to his throat. He made sure his expression doesn't convey glumness across his face. "I don't know," he spoke in a loud voice.

"I just loved it, man. In fact, I could relate to-" Ravi's voice trailed off, and it didn't even kill him to realize that his best friend only heard "echoes of the mind."

More than echoes, Sid would put them as zombies. In the mental realm, he ran with all his vim to escape the zombie of moroseness, who sprinted at him and bit his mind. The zombie of anxiety charged at his right to bite off his head and to tear his limbs with its yellowish teeth and to turn him as one of them rather his emotions a walking dead.

Sid... Sid... Are you even listening? These words came at Sid like a whistle of the train, snapping him out as if someone has thrown cold water on his face.

"Yup. Good for you." Sid mumbled a few words at last, but he lied because not a single word went into his head.

Although Ravi was speaking continuously like a girl chewing the fat with her best friend, only a few words caught Sid's attention since his mind was journeying to different alleys. With the same mood, he reached home.