Chapter 31 - Charioteer of Your Life

Sid was sitting in a waiting room of a hospital, cuddling his college bag on his lap. The piercing LED light above his head brightened the luminous symbols on his long-sleeved V-neck shirt. His hair was unkempt and slightly greasy due to traveling. His finger went to scratch his stubble amidst the noises of sneezing and coughing from sick patients from different wards.

The questions he wrote on the notepad app on his cellphone were making him nervous. He wanted to ask these questions to the psychiatrist. Will people judge him if he has mental issues? This very thought that his inquisitiveness was a mental issue shot a ripple through his heart.

Sid looked over and over at the name-plate outside the door. The name Dr. Kunal Vadawa stared back at him through block capitals and black letters. His eyes glinted as the flat metallic plate gained a reflection in his black eyes.

A receptionist readout Sid's name and pointed her thumb at the specified door. He was to meet the psychiatrist.

Sid pushed the door open and entered the room. The fragrance of floral incense pervaded the surrounding air, invading Sid's nostrils as soon as he placed his first foot into the room. Inside there, Dr. Kunal's smile welcomed him, revealing his simplicity. Sid studied his appearance, a casual hairstyle which made him look like a middle-aged man and a round black frame specs which reminded Sid of a wise owl. He was wearing formal clothes that registered his profession as a distinguished human.

With a wave of his hand, he invited Sid to take a seat. Sid placed his appointment letter on the desk before settling down in his chair. "So, Mr. Siddhant Kothari, I would appreciate if you discuss your psychological issues frankly," Kunal asked, his eyes were skimming over the letter.

"Well, I don't know where to start." Sid adjusted his seating position, "Um... I think I can see the future through dreams."

The doctor tore his eyes away from the letter to rest upon Sid, waiting for him to continue. "Psychic dreaming, huh?"

Sid simply lifted his shoulders, he did not know what that meant. The doctor cleared his throat and began to explain, psychic dreaming is the ability to see the future through dreams. Research says at least one-third of the general population experiences precognition in their dreams.

Precognition is the ability or the direct knowledge to foresee events before they happen through ESP. Sixty to seventy percent of this phenomenon one can experience in dreams, and the rest in daydreams or visions. In real life, precognition will make itself known through auditory hallucinations, rapid random thoughts, or pure instinct. Studies have stated that everybody has a certain degree of psychic ability, but some are more heightened than others. Psychic dreams can even arise in a symbolic form.

"Actually," Sid said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, "I had visions many times before. By the way, what's ESP?"

"Extra sensory perception." Kunal answered, "Also known as the sixth sense. Reception of information not gained through the recognized physical senses but sensed with the mind."

Sid just gave the nod. A wave of surprise erupted from his heart, but he was confident he didn't see any dream that would correspond with the information provided by Kunal. A lingering surety made it clear to him, the poor boy was having mental issues. He spoke in a voice that almost sounded hoarse. "Does this dreaming involved stories you never heard? Or rather don't recall when you heard?"

"Yeah." Kunal gave a curt nod. "You see, there's no science which can describe the mind." Kunal raised his eyebrows, shame prominent in his features overshadowed by acceptance of the limitations in science.

"I..." The laugh cut down Sid's words. "I'm pretty sure my grandpa had told me all these stories in my childhood, but I don't remember the ones I saw in dreams." He narrated one of the stories to Kunal.