44 | the beginning chapter

this was requested by @-cogheart!

as we all know, the most common way a tmr story begins is with the oc waking up in the box. of course, it's expected considering that's how the actual book began and it's a good place for the story to begin, but reading it 50+ times can be tedious.

that's why stories that start out differently tend to stick out to me. instead of skimming over something you've seen a thousand times, you're actually surprised and drawn into every word.

it's like in my story, Aegis. the prologue began with her running in the maze, so she's already been in the glade for a while. even starting your story from a set point after they've woken up in the box can be refreshing!

another idea is having your oc arrive before thomas. whether they're among the first to arrive or come somewhere in the middle, this can allow you to develop your oc's relationships with the gladers before chaos begins. it's also less typical than what you see in every fanfic.

or, if you want to get really creative, you can have your character be monitoring the things that go on in the glade from W.I.C.K.E.D. and you can see how they manipulate certain things that happen in the actual series! (maybe they're controlling the beetle blade thomas sees in the maze, preventing the box from going down when someone tries to jump inside it to escape, etc)

your oc could be a part of jorge and brenda's group in the scorch! if you want to start your story later, this could be a good option for you. and since the scorch trials was heavily focused on where thomas was, you can write about what happened to the others while he was gone.

these are just some ideas to spur your lovely, creative mind!

(pls request stuff on the requests chapter i'm running out of things to write about lololol)