61 | how to make your story stand out

(GUYS. 200k. WHAAAAT?? thank you so much!!)

i feel like i've said this 800 times already, but since i first created Different in october 2014, the fandom has grown a lot

i feel like i've said this 800 times already, but since i first created Different in october 2014, the fandom has grown a lot. there used to be, like, six newt fanfictions (Wonderwall, The Fighter, my story, and others that have since been deleted).

my point is: four years ago, my story stuck out. it was different (pun intended) than others. but now, if you only read the first few chapters... not so much. it eventually branches off into something unique, though it may take readers a bit to see that.

in the TMR fandom, our options are limited because the things about the maze are relatively strict and only allow for a certain number of possibilities. the most common is "the girl is in group A with no explanation whatsoever" (@ me with Aegis) which has pretty much been exhausted to its fullest extent. everyone has read that plot 200 times. is it okay to use? definitely. will it be extraordinarily memorable? maybe.

in order to make people be interested in your story, you can try a multitude of things. here are some examples:

1. DON'T START YOUR STORY OFF WITH THE BOX. chances are, people are going to either skip it completely or skim through it and not absorb what you're trying to say. no matter how amazing your writing is, it likely won't encapture the audience that well. try to make your story begin somewhere else, maybe with them already in the glade or just after they exit the box. (reference chapter 44 "the beginning chapter" if you want more details)

2. HAVE A MALE OC. this way, there's so much less work. you don't have to develop a reason as to why the girl is in group A. (plus, we need more male OC's in the tmr fandom, ironically. see chapter 42 "faceclaims" for ideas)

3. MAKE YOUR OC NOT PART OF GROUP A. there are a plethora of things to branch off of here. maybe they're a member of group B and come into the story in the scorch trials. maybe they're a W.I.C.K.E.D employee (but don't get sent into the maze). maybe they're a part of the right arm. endless possibilities!

4. MAKE A GROUP B FANFIC. you'd have so much leverage here because there isn't that much information about what group B was like. if you want to be super unique, you can use the little information we have about them (maybe go to the tmr fandom wiki page) and write a fanfic about our female faves (and aris i guess lmao. see chapter 32 "group b slang" for ideas)

5. USE A UNIQUE LOVE INTEREST. frypan??? gally??? alby??? sonya??? aris??? harriet??? they're all single and Ready To Mingle, aka they deserve more fanfictions. also, so does minho. he's literally a main character but there are hardly any fics about him in comparison to newt or thomas.

6. DON'T INCLUDE A LOVE INTEREST AT ALL. who needs love, anyways? just kidding. but this way, you can develop your character's (platonic) relationships with the characters/focus more on their development rather than stressing about what chapter they should Get Together in.

7. SHAMELESS SELF PROMO. i actually have a unique tmr plot for sale in my plot shop titled "cosmic." just make sure you read the rules and see if you'd be interested in writing it! i'd definitely read it if someone took it.

i hope this helps you guys! remember, if you have any requests, leave them in the requests chapter and i'll try to get around to it if i haven't already done something similar.