Chapter 1

Grace's eyes glide over the information plate, her mind melted by all of the words she didn't understand. She didn't know that when she chose this degree, it would involve poncing about in a museum looking at rocks.

She glances at Elina, who has a matching look of disdain etched across her pretty face.

"Got anything?" Grace tries, her voice tinted with exasperation.

"Nope. Unless you count the intense hatred I have for this degree." Elina replies in an uncharacteristically deadpan manner, causing Grace to let out a giggle.

Still smiling, Grace's surveys the room, eyes flitting over the displays and the decorations, before coming to a rest on the room's door, which was now open with two young men entering. She frowns, her eyebrows creasing in thought. She knows she recognises them vaguely, perhaps from their morning lecture, her mind supplies.

One is tall, lanky even, pale skinned with a mop of shiny black curls and an easy smile on his face. Grace smiles unconsciously, the man's demeanour easing her own.

The other man is just as tall, but he is lean, with skin the colour of rich vanilla, a strong jaw and what looks like even stronger arms. His hair is a beautiful shade of sandy brown and flops down in front of his face, framing it attractively. He wears pinstriped trousers, paired with a plain t-shirt that hugs his biceps nicely. Grace is suddenly very grateful that the Welsh weather has picked up today of all days; it would be a great shame for such a beautiful person to be covered up by a raincoat.

"They on our course aren't they?" Elina asks quietly, following Grace's gaze, "God, who knew men who look like that actually do our degree. Here I was thinking it was just weirdos and virgins."

Graces splutters a laugh, "Oh my god shut up." She glances at the guys again, and notices that the beautiful man was looking back at her. He offers her a soft, lopsided smile. If her skin were light enough, she would have gone visibly bright red. Instead she attempts a smile back, before turning back to Elina, "And there's nothing wrong with virgins."

Elina grins, "Yeah there is. You're one, aren't you?" She teases, earning a slap on the arm from her friend.

Grace rolls her eyes with a smile and moves to the next exhibit, which is an array of scale model dinosaurs. She stares at the one in front of her, watching as it moves robotically, carrying out a programmed sequence of actions. She flinches when it lets out a shrill noise.

"He doesn't sound very happy to be here does he?" A low, posh voice comments from beside her.

Grace is suddenly hyperaware of the extra presence, and the soothing smell of men's aftershave that engulfs her. She glances quickly up at her companion, noting that it's the beautiful man from before.

He smiles at her, soft and lopsided like before, then flicks his head back to the dinosaur, shaking the hair out of his eyes.

Grace stares at him for a second, momentarily mesmerised, then he opens his mouth and that velvety voice slides over her again and she looks back at the statue.

"He looks intimidating standing there. So real. It's hard to believe that that's just a model."

"It's beautiful." Grace says quietly, eyes fixed forward, her nerves stopping her from saying any more.

"Yeah." The man says, in awe, "It's so grand, like it demands attention. Statuesque."

One of Grace's eyebrows rises involuntarily, and the corners of her mouth turn up in amusement.

"What?" The man huffs a laugh, feigning ignorance.

"Statuesque," Grace mimics, dropping her voice a little lower to (unsuccessfully) emulate his, "It's a statue. Of course it's statuesque."

The man rolls his eyes, a fond smile on his face, "Alright Einstein, you've got me there."

Grace grins, "Obviously." She pauses, "And I happen to look up to Einstein, so thank you very much."

"Ah!" The man exclaims enthusiastically, "So you are in my class!"

Grace furrows her brows, "Have you been trying to figure that out this whole time?" She asks, bemused.

The man flushes, and oh god he looks so pretty like that, "Yeah... I recognised you but I didn't know where from. I'm Arthur."

"Like Prince Arthur?" Grace notes.

"What?" Arthur's face pales slightly, but he tries to speak casually. He fails.

"Pendragon? Like the legend?" Grace supplies with a frown.

The colour visibly returns to Arthur's face, "Oh... Ha, yeah, I suppose so." His grin returns too.

Elina pops up at Grace's side and greets Arthur, "Hey, I'm Elina. It's Arthur, right?"

Arthur nods and smiles politely, sticking a hand out to shake, "Pleasure to meet you."

"Well aren't you proper," Elina teases, "How did you end up being friends with a commoner like Will?"

Suddenly, Arthur's curly haired friend, Will, Grace guesses, comes into view. He glares playfully at Grace's best friend, "I take offence to that," he says with a strong Welsh accent that is more charming than common, even in the capital of Wales.

Grace giggles, causing Arthur to turn his attention back to her.

"So, do I get your name, or am I supposed to keep calling you Einstein, Einstein?" He smirks.

Grace's face heats up for what feels like the hundredth time, "Oh, um. No, I'm Grace."

Arthur smiles clearly satisfied. He gives her friendly glance and says, "It's nice to meet you, Grace."

A/N:
So that's the first chapter! I hope you all enjoyed it! Over the next few chapters we'll learn more about Grace's university life, her budding friendship with Arthur, and her relationship with Elina.

Serena x