Chapter 26

Grace steps into her flat with a heavy sigh. She closes the door, leaning her head against it like she always does when she's overwhelmed. She takes a second to gather herself before turning around.

"What, in the ever-loving-fuck do you think you're doing?" Elina says sharply as soon as her friend locks eyes with her.

Grace startles, jumping and rolling her eyes, and takes a deep breath.

"What needed to be done." She says, walking into the kitchen without giving Elina a second glance.

"Well then, you're an idiot." The taller woman hisses, following Grace and coming to a stop in front of her.

"Hm." Grace laugh's humourlessly, "I thought I was the 'smartest person you know'?"

"Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Deflect!" Elina yells, "You've self-destructed in a big way, then you saunter in here like it's no big deal! After everything you've been through!"

"That's why I did what I did!" Grace shouts back, frustratedly.

"You just couldn't allow yourself to be happy! All you do is self-sabotage!"

"You really think I would have been happy?!"

"I.." Elina pauses, studying her friend, "No."

"Exactly. Now do you-"

Elina holds a hand up, interrupting Grace..

"No, because you don't know how to be happy. All you do is complain and wallow in self-pity."

"No I-"

"Yes you do. 'Oh woe is me. I love a man who I think is out of my league. He showers me with compliments. But no I'm not gonna accept this love he gives me because I don't like myself'!"

Grace looks at her with a plain look, waiting for her to finish, "Are you done?"

"No!" Elina exclaims, "You used to cry on my shoulder, begging to be loved like a girl in a movie. Saying that you didn't feel like you deserve the love that everyone else gets. But now you're literally living in a rom-com and you decide to burn the script?!"

"Don't you dare make out like that was easy for me!"

"Wasn't it?! Because the way I see it, you've done the typical Grace thing."

"What?!"

"You're using your insecurities as an excuse to take the easy way out. You're scared that things won't work out so you're backing away before you have a chance to get hurt."

The shorter girl stays silent and just stares at her friend petulantly.

"Well newsflash Grace! Life is pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something!"

There's a pause, and Grace furrows her brows,

"Don't quote my favourite movie to strengthen your point!"

"Did it work?" Elina asks with a side-eye.

"Yes... but I'm still mad!"

"Well so am I!." Elina sighs, then grabs Graces hand and sits beside her, "I'm so angry at you for giving up."

~~~~

"So... I just got a call from Rich." Will says as he steps into Grace's flat. She and Elina are sat curled up on the sofa, watching trashy reality TV and eating mountains of chocolate.