Chapter 10

The lecture theatre isn't exactly filled to the brim, on the first day in weeks that Grace decides to show up. Until now, she'd been making the most of the university's online resources; watching videos, reading books. But her final year exams are mere months away, so perhaps now is the time to get what she's paying for.

She and Elina walk up the stairs, looking for a seat far back enough to be away from the ruckus, but close enough to the front to pay attention. Sliding into a space against the wall of one of the middle rows, Grace pulls out her laptop to take notes.

"Um..." Elina starts quietly, though the noise in the room is enough to drown her out at a normal volume, "I know you would rather to sit on your hands until you die instead of make a decision on Arthur..."

"But?" Grace prompts, wary her friend's tone.

"But it looks like he had the same idea as us, showing up to study lectures." Elina continues, gesturing toward the door where Arthur and Will have just entered the back of the room.

"Shit me." Grace groans, sinking down in her seat. It's a futile attempt at concealment, especially considering that the room is laid out so that everyone is visible at all times.

Elina rolls her eyes, smacking her friend on the side, "You're one of... Scratch that. You are the smartest person I know-"

"That's disappointing."

"I don't have a lot of friends," Elina smacks her again, "You're the smartest person I know, in almost every walk of life. But as soon as the topic turns to you, your brain goes to mush."

Grace huffs petulantly, folding her arms across her chest. She sneaks a glance up and finds Arthur's eyes already on her. He and Will are making their way down the centre aisle, looking for a seat... Well, Will is looking for a seat, Arthur is scanning the room for Grace.

When he catches Grace's eye, he gives her small, shy, one-sided smile. She returns it just as gingerly, her inner anguish not dampening her sunny disposition.

To Grace's relief, Arthur and Will move closer to the front of the room and sit down.

~~~~~

"You know you can't avoid me forever, Sunshine."

Grace halts, squeezing her eyes shut and turning around. She walks over to Arthur where he's stood by the wall in the crowded corridor.

"Uh, hey, no. I'm not avoiding you, silly!" Grace laughs slightly too hard for it to be convincing, "W-why would I do that?"

"Because I basically declared my love for you after telling you that I'm-" He cuts himself off and brings his voice down to a whisper, "a prince."

Grace closes her mouth tightly, avoiding Arthur's gaze, "I'm sorry."

"No. Don't be." He tells her, rubbing a hand on her forearm, giving her a tight-lipped smile, "What happens is all up to you. I just..."

"Just what?" She prompts, lifting her eyes.

"I just want to know what's going to happen." He sighs, "If you're gonna say no, just say it and spare me the agony. And- And if you can't decide, then tell me what I can do to make the decision easier."

Grace huffs out a frustrated, hopeless breath, grabbing Arthur by the hand and guiding him out of the building into the blistering cold. They walk over to a low wall, taking a seat and turning to face each other.

"Arthur, I-I do like you... A lot." Grace tells him, her teeth capturing her bottom lip, "I just don't know how this, the way we are now, is going to work after uni."