Chapter 25

"What's up?" Grace asks, she's sat up facing Arthur who's leaning back on some pillows against the headboard of the bed.

She reaches a hand down to grab his, which he pulls to his lips and kisses, before clasping it in his lap. Grace's head tilts in concern, an encouraging look in her dark eyes.

"You're not breaking up with me, are you?" She jokes, "Because that would be terrible timing."

"No!" Arthur responds, a little to quickly, causing Grace to pout just a bit. He groans, frustrated, squeezing his girlfriend's hand slightly, "It's.." he sighs, "it's not even that serious. It's nothing, really."

"Then why's your face screwed up like you have a hernia?"

Arthur frowns, actively trying to school his expression. The corners of Grace's plump lips curve up into a sly smile.

"Arthur, if it's nothing, then you can just say it. It's obviously important enough for you to be worried about telling me." She tells him, rubbing his palm with her fingertips, "Just say it. Please?"

Grace... God, she means the world to Arthur. Just sitting here, having her look at him like she'd let the whole world burn so they could spend eternity together. He wishes he could have eternity with her. It would be paradise. To feel her soft kiss on his lips and hear her sweet voice in his ears every day.

It's a beautiful dream. But he has to wake up at some point.

"You know how my mother asked if you would be... a suitable bride?" Arthur starts, wincing at the word 'suitable'. Suitable, Arthur scoffs, what does that even mean?

"Um... yes, Arthur, it's unfortunately ingrained into my memory." Grace says, visibly upset by the topic. Tough, Arthur thinks, you need to know the truth.

With a sigh, Arthur continues, "At first, Mum was just spitballing. Suggesting I be with someone hypothetical who could handle royalty." He purses his lips, unsure of how to put this without making Grace sad.

Realistically, there's no way of avoiding that, there's nothing about this conversation that can have a positive outcome.

"Go on..." Grace prompts, eyes narrowed, "I can handle it."

Arthur huffs and pushes on, "Well... I guess... with all the revelations about Rebecca, and the conversation with you... She's decided that Bex is the ideal bride for me."

Silence.

Arthur, who's eyes were previously cast downwards out of cowardice, risks a glance up at Grace's expression.

She's staring to the side, a blank, unreadable expression on her face. The only indication Arthur has that she is even alive is her steady breathing. He watches as her shoulders rise and fall. There is an occasional flare of her nostrils, an observation that Arthur would've found adorable if it weren't for the unfortunate situation they were currently in.

"I... uh.." Arthur coughs awkwardly, "I said no."

Grace's eyes snap towards him, and she looks at him expectantly.

What did he think would happen? That Grace would blow up? Scream at him? No. They were both way too mature for that. Arthur has always known that about her. He should know better than to assume the worst.

"I said no. That I don't want to be with anyone if it isn't you. That I'm offended by suggestion I choose someone else, let alone a friend of yours."

"She's not my friend." Grace blurts out.

"Yes she is. She cares about you." Arthur argues, bothered by the fact the Grace thinks she's lost a friend.