Chapter 7

When Grace wakes up, she's fully clothed, lying in her bed alone and wrapped up in her cheap bedsheets. Her head is pounding. Looking to her left, she sees her water bottle filled up and sitting on her bedside table. She grabs it, drinking from it greedily, like it's an oasis in a desert. When she comes up for breath, her mouth turns down in confusion. She didn't fill the bottle up herself; in fact, she can remember the moment she realised she hadn't prepared it.

That means someone had done it for her. Grace assumes it's Elina since she's the one who gave her the tip about keeping water by your bed. It's great for hangovers. But that idea is forgotten when her phone pings with a new message.

Looking at the name on the screen, the night suddenly comes rushing back to her. Though she's notorious for never blacking out, Grace's memory often needs a little jog to sort through the information. Today though, it's crystal clear.

You stupid, stupid girl. She chastises herself, closing her eyes and swiping her phone open.

Arthur: Hey. Sorry I had to leave before you woke up, I had an early lecture and I didn't want to disturb you. I noticed your water bottle was empty, so I filled it up for you, I guessed you'd have a killer headache ;) I'll call you when I'm free? X

Grace sits in dead silence, the only sounds to enter the room are car engines, and her heavy breathing.

She went through the night in her head again.

Arthur led her out of the club, and they walked through the streets of Cardiff, holding hands, stopping every few seconds because they couldn't keep their hands of each other.

"You look so beautiful tonight." He whispered against her lips.

They were stood chest to chest, leaning against a wall a few streets down from Grace's flat.

"Really?" Grace replied, the alcohol in her system drowning out the negative voices in her head.

"Yes." Arthur said, "Yes. You always do. Like an angel." He put a soft hand to her cheek, nuzzling her nose with his tenderly, "Gorgeous."

Grace's body filled with warmth and she took a slow, deep breath. Her intoxicated mind raced, her heart pumped wildly. She basked in every compliment happily - she doesn't get them very often – ignoring the possibility that it could all be an act.

She pulled away, grabbing Arthur by the hand, and tugging him the rest of the way back to her flat.

When she finally got the door open and stepped inside, Arthur took her wrist and spun her around, wrapping his arms around her waist and lifting her up.

Grace giggled childishly, "Stop!" She squealed, "Put me down!"

Arthur obliged, but didn't let release her from his hold. Instead, he tightened his grip, giving her a long, warm hug, with his head resting on the top of her head. Grace sighed contentedly. She weaved her arms around his toned torso, enjoying the feeling of his strong hard back.

Arthur sighed deeply, his breath fanning over Grace's head, "This is nice." He commented contentedly, his fingers tracing shapes on her skin.

"Yeah. It is." Grace whispered; her voice muffled slightly by the fabric of Arthur's shirt. In that moment, she was hit with a feeling of sadness. What were they meant to do now? Did he expect her to sleep with him?

That was what every guy wanted from her anyway.

God she was such an idiot, she had fallen for it, his gorgeous face and irresistible charms. She promised herself she wouldn't get herself into this situation, not again.

She felt heartbroken. Here she was, with a boy in her home, both of them tipsy, sexual tension heavy in the air. After tonight, he would leave her, just like they all did. She was just a thing to all of them, a conquest. It hurt. But she'd come this far, ruined things already, she might as well get some enjoyment out of it before he forgets about her.

"I should probably head home." Arthur said suddenly, causing Grace to pull her face away from his chest and look up into his brown eyes.

"What?" She asked, trying to be casual, "You- You don't wanna stay?"

"I'd love to stay, but..." he looks conflicted, "I don't want to take it too far, not while we're like this."

"Like what?"

"Drunk." He brought a hand up to rest in the junction between her cheek and neck, "It's not right...You deserve better than that."

Grace frowned, not really sure what to make of that. Her mind started doing mental gymnastics to try to justify her thoughts. Maybe he was prepared to play the long game. Arthur is still a gentleman, so it made sense that he wanted her while she was completely coherent. It didn't change anything, but Grace still felt a little happier; the longer he waited, the longer she'd have his friendship.

"Do- Do you wanna stay anyway?" She offered quietly, barely audible, big brown eyes looking up at him, "It's a long walk back to yours isn't it?"

"Only if you're comfortable." Arthur told her, his thumb stroking her cheek, an easy smile on his face.

Grace regretted it already. Not because she didn't want Arthur to stay, but because she knows what happens when a guy enters your bed, no matter the intentions. It didn't matter what excuse she gives, that she just wants a cuddle, that she's tired, Grace always ends up handing out disappoint, saying no. But this time, she's not sure if she wants to say no; not sure if her better judgment will win over her heart. Maybe this time, she liked him enough to go all the way, if it meant making him happy one last time before he left her.

"Yeah, it's been a long night, and we have uni tomorrow. Might as well just get some sleep here." She reasoned, turning to go up the stairs, with Arthur in tow.

Grace didn't bother to make Arthur turn around while she changed, he probably wanted to see it all anyway. But, to her surprise, he turned anyway, looking very intensely at the corner of her room.

She coughed, getting his attention to let him know she was done. He looked over to her and smiled.

"Cute cat PJs." He teased with a smirk. "Uh, do you mind, if I take my top off?"

"No, go ahead." Grace shrugs, smiling slightly as she walked to the bed and got under the covers. The bed dipped beside her, and then Arthur was there, gazing at her sweetly, with a kind smile on his lips.

He leaned forward, and Grace pursed her lips, expecting him to give her a heated kiss. Instead, he pressed his soft lips to her forehead, lingering there for a couple of seconds before settling back into his position beside her.

"Night." He murmured; eyes locked onto hers.

Grace stayed silent, just staring at him in surprise. Then she blinked, giving him a small smile, and turned around to switch off the lamp at the side of her bed.

She settled back down, her back facing Arthur, and felt his arms creep around her waist, holding her securely. She sighed softly.

"Goodnight Arthur."

A/N:
Hope you guys enjoyed. As you can see, Grace has a bit of a cynical view towards her love life. Hopefully Arthur can convince her otherwise :)

Serena x