Chapter 35

Arthur makes his way down the stairs of the cathedral accommodation, ending up in the hallway that connects the ceremony room from the outside world.

He stands slap bang in the centre, head swinging from left to right, from door to door, unsure of which way to go.

He chooses a door and hastily opens it.

The August sun is aggressive on Arthur's face. The rays assaulting his senses, his skin warming up instantly.

With a deep breath, he exits the building, eyes immediately met with the stunning array of colours adorning the cathedral gardens.

He steps out, finding his way along the path until he ends up at a bench, surrounded by pretty yellow sunflowers.

"I think you're lost."

Arthur's head snaps upwards, looking for the source of the sound.

Stood above him, figure blacked out, and blocking out the sun, is the unmistakable silhouette of his mother, Alexandra.

"Just... taking a moment." Arthur says with an unconvincing smile, he tries his best not look over his mother's shoulder, checking if Grace has arrived.

"No, you're not. You're getting cold feet." Alexandra guesses, with a raised eyebrow, settling down next to her son.

Arthur says nothing, just presses his lips into a flat line and staring down at his fiddling hands. Something about his mother transports him back to his childhood, when he hung off her every word, and she was the only authority in his life.

"I'm going to say something now... do with it what you will." Alexandra says, leaning back on the bench and fixing her dress.

"Okay." Arthur nods.

"You don't want this. That's quite obvious." Alexandra starts with a displeased look, "You'd much rather be with Grace. But from what I understand, she let you go."

Arthur frowns at that. He should tell his mother the truth, that Grace wants him back. She could already be in the courtyard on her way to him.

He opens his mouth, but Alexandra holds up a manicured hand, stopping him in his tracks.

"She let you go, so that you could do this. It's very sad and unfortunate that things have gone this way, but this is the way they've gone." Alexandra pouts, "It upsets me too, Arthur. I hate seeing you go through this. But I'm trying to look out for your future. Right now, you're allowed to be emotional; you've just lost your great love. I'm going to be strong for the both of us, all you have to do is get up on that altar and do what you need to."

"But, Mum-"

"I'm proud of you, Arthur." Alexandra smiles, gripping his hand, "I really am. You've become such an intelligent, caring, sensible young man. I know you'll do the right thing."

As his mother stands, and pats him on the shoulder, Arthur's head drops, and he sighs heavily.

He came out here with his mind made up, clear, but now he feels like his head is full of cotton balls.

He sits for a while, mind too preoccupied to be nervous whether Grace will show up. His head is jumble of thoughts, his mother, the crown, Rebecca, Grace.

A few minutes later, he stands up, running a nervous hand down his waistcoat, smoothing it down. Then, he paces for what feels like an age, rattling his brain for a decision.

"Shit." He hisses, frustratedly, "Shit. Shit. Shit."

A loud bong sounds, and Arthur immediately recognises it as the ringing of church bells. It's 1pm. His wedding has officially started, and Grace hadn't come.