Chapter 23

"I knew it. I knew you looked familiar." Arthur says, ruefully, tilting his head up to gaze at the heavens, "Rebecca Simpson. Daughter of Stewart Simpson."

When Arthur had first met Bex, there was something about her that struck a chord with him. The thick blonde hair, striking blue eyes, and the beauty mark on her left cheek. He'd seen it all before. Now that he knows who she is, it's become clear, they had met as children, at one of the many posh events he'd been dragged to.

"Guilty." Rebecca says, sheepishly, her mouth twitching downwards.

"You can say that again." Arthur sneers, "What have you done, Rebecca? Why have I just spent the last half an hour convincing my girlfriend that not every good thing in her life is a lie?"

"I-I didn't mean to..." Rebecca starts sadly, "I wasn't trying to hurt her. Your mother... she just wanted to know about Grace."

"Oh yeah? And what did you tell her?"

"Good things! I promise!" Rebecca insists, bringing her hands up in defense, "I love Grace, I told Alexandra as much. I told her how good you are together."

"Then why the hell has she told her to break up with me?"

"What?!" The blonde girl gapes, genuinely in shock at the revelation, "But your mum likes Grace, she thinks she's beautiful."

"Yeah well apparently that's not good enough."

"I don't believe this." Rebecca laments with a sigh. She sits down on her sofa and looks up at her... friend?

"Arthur. I'm so sorry. I don't know what I told her that made her change her mind."

Arthur sighs more deeply than Rebecca had earlier, and sits beside her on the sofa, sinking into the faux leather.

"It's okay." He says, then pauses, correcting himself, "Actually, it's not. My relationship might be ruined. But... I know you didn't have any bad intentions."

Rebecca smiles solemnly, looking at the side of his face. She feels utterly horrible. Arthur's eyes are downcast, staring into his lap. She wishes she could know what he was thinking, so that she could cheer him up. She guesses, with almost complete certainty, that it was Grace who is on his mind.

Rebecca really hopes Arthur was over exaggerating when he'd said that their relationship was ruined. He and Grace are the best people she knows, and she wouldn't be able to live with herself if she was the reason for their break-up.

She doesn't even like Arthur that way... She isn't even sure she likes any man that way. She would never be able to tell her father that though.

"What are you going to do?" She asks him.

Arthur shrugs shallowly, "I don't know. Keep reminding her that I love her I guess."

"Anything I can do... Besides apologise to her?"

Arthur looks at her and gives her a fond side smile. He slings an arm around her shoulders pulling her into him.

"You're a good friend, Bex." He tells her, rubbing her arm, comfortingly, "You made a mistake. Grace will understand."

"Oh lovely! You're already together." A voice suddenly comes from the entrance of Rebecca's flat, "And you've already gotten cosy."

The pair spring apart as if they've been burnt.

Looking over to the entry way, Arthur sees his mother standing proud in the doorway.

"Mother."

"Alexandra."

The two students say simultaneously.

"Hello, sweetie's." She says brightly, placing her bag down on the floor and elegantly taking a seat on a chair beside her, "How are we doing today?"

Arthur stares at her disbelievingly, "As if you don't know."

Alexandra raises her eyebrows, "I... don't?"

"If you must know, Mother, I'm quite frankly, having a terrible time." Her son snaps, petulantly.

At Alexandra's confused expression, Rebecca fills in the blanks, "Grace is upset. Apparently you suggested she break up with him."

"Oh." Is all the Duchess says.

"'Oh'? That's it?" Arthur fumes, "You may have singlehandedly ruined my relationship and all you have to say is 'oh'!"

"I don't know what more there is to say Arthur." Alexandra dismisses, "Grace knows how the conversation went, and I stand by what I said."

"And what did you say exactly?" Arthur presses.

"I don't see how it's any of your business."

"Any of my business- Mum, she's my girlfriend! I love her!" Arthur gets up, gesturing frantically, "It's my business when the woman I love tells me she isn't sure we should be together!"

Alexandra sighs, crossing one leg over the other and looking up at her son with disdain, "Arthur, calm down. You will not talk to me with such disrespect."

Arthur scoffs, but his mother continues, "I told Grace that she needs to realise that being with you will bring a world of scrutiny... And I don't think she's strong enough to handle it."

Rebecca gasps, "What?! Why would you say that?"

"Because it's true, dear. You said it yourself, Grace isn't handling the speculation well already. Imagine how she'll be when the relationship becomes official, if there's a proposal."

Despite his better judgment, Arthur's heartbeat speeds up at the mention of marrying Grace. Wouldn't that be grand? He thinks.

"You have no right to make that call." He tells his mother, his disappointment clear in his voice.

"I didn't make a call. I gave her my two cents and a suggestion. She can, by all means, choose to be with you. But when the wolves come sniffing around, it's her funeral."

"Okay. So, you think Grace is too weak to handle being with me." Arthur says, trying to wrap his head around his mother's words, "Then who do you suggest I be with, if not her?"

It was sarcasm, honestly. There's no way he'd even consider being with someone else while Grace still penetrated every corner of his mind and soul. But he asks anyway, out of curiosity.

"I'm glad you asked!"  His mother exclaims excitedly, "I have the perfect candidate."

"What? Already?" Rebecca says, a mixture between incredulous and disgusted, "Who?"

Alexandra looks at her with a knowing grin, and places a delicate hand onto the girl's hand.

"You, dear."

A/N: Anyone see this coming?? :o

Leave votes and comments, and stay tuned to see what happens next!

Serena x