Chapter 30

"Do you think we'll get married?" Grace's soft voice whispers lazily through the phone.

"Yeah. I'm counting on it." Arthur's voice responds sleepily, the grin he's sporting is evident in his tone.

"You're so cocky." Grace giggles, and a quiet kissing sound is made, through the darkness.

"Nope. Just confident." Arthur whispers, "None of the scenarios in my head include a future without you in it."

There is silence, short and pensive, then Grace utters, ever so softly, "I love you."

Arthur closes the video app and locks his phone with a heavy sigh.

This is the third time he's watched that video in one hour. He feels pathetic.

The clock on his bedside cabinet displays bright red digits.

1:42am

Arthur groans; he had gone to bed at ten.

With a huff, he rolls away from the clock and closes his eyes, determined to get to sleep.

He doesn't know why he bothers. It's not as if sleep is going to stop the thoughts of Grace that consume his mind during the day.

He dreams of her too.

There is a knock on the door, soft and faint, but still there, definitely there.

"Come in." Arthur says quietly, staring at the door expectantly.

A delicate hand curls around the door, then Arthur is met with the lithe form of Rebecca... his fiancée.

"Were you sleeping?" She asks timidly.

"No." Arthur responds, annoyed. He wishes he was sleeping. "Why aren't you?"

Bex steps further into the room, leaning against the door which she had closed behind herself.

"I can't sleep."

Arthur frowns, "Too many thoughts?"

Bex nods once.

With a sigh, Arthur sits up, scooting over to one side of the bed and pats the space next to him.

With a soft smile, Bex moves toward the bed and takes a tentative seat, curling in on herself under the covers.

"She probably hates me." Bex says, after a couple of moments of comfortable silence.

"No she doesn't. Why would she? There was nothing between you. Not really." Arthur says reassuringly.

"There could have been." Bex frowns, her voice laced with sadness, "We both felt... something. But we never acted on it-"

"And now it's too late." Arthur finishes her sentence sympathetically.

"Now it's too late." Bex confirms.

She sinks down, lying properly under the covers now, pulling them up over her chest and flopping her arms on top of the material.

"Do you think we're making the right choice?" Bex's asks after a few moments of silence.

Arthur waits a beat then looks down at her, barely seeing her under the darkness of the night.

"Depends on who you ask." He says. His voice contemplative.

"I'm asking you."

"Then no. We're doing a terrible thing that will hurt the majority of people involved."