Chapter 13

It seems like everyone is wearing black.

Even the sky is a pitiful shade of grey to reflect the occasion. The rainclouds formed in the sky are warning of what would be a stunning display of pathetic fallacy.

In Wales, life is at a stand still. The death of one monarch marks a bank holiday, and an official period of mourning. For the death of their entire family... that period might as well last forever.

Grace sits in her living room with Elina, both of them snuggled under a giant fluffy blanket. The TV is switched onto BBC News, where build up to the funeral is being shown non-stop.

"Two weeks on from the tragic event that tore a hole through the heart of the British public, the world mourns. It has since been confirmed that the next surviving royal in the line of succession is King Andrew's second son, Prince James of Gloucester." The newscaster speaks slowly and seriously, her voice somehow both monotonous and emotive, "He and his family will now be the members in the direct line of succession."

The screen suddenly cuts to an old photo of a boy, who couldn't have been more that 10 years old. Arthur.

"As well as a chance to pay their respects to those we've lost, today the public will also get their first look at the heir to the throne, the Prince's son, Arthur, who made the decision to be out of the public eye until the end of his education." The presenter pauses, "As expected, the original plan will have to be amended to suit his new role as first in line."

Grace sighs. She isn't excited to see Arthur on the television; as soon as the nation sees his face – as it is now – he's no longer just hers.

It makes her skin crawl, the idea of her boyfriend, her sweet, kind boyfriend who wears his heart on his sleeve, being paraded around like a show-horse. His pain being put on display as if his tears are only there for the world to see. He doesn't deserve this.

When Arthur had left her flat the day he headed to London, he had put on a brave face. But Grace is his girlfriend, she loves him, so she can read him like a book. She could see it all in his eyes, the fear, the apprehension... the exhaustion.

"And here we go. Prince James, soon to be King James, will be arriving with his wife, Alexandra, the Duchess of Gloucester in a matter of minutes." The screen pans to a sleek black car which stops just at the beginning of a wide road, cordoned off for the funeral succession, "For now, we can see the rest of his family. His three youngest children, Prince Henry, Princess Margaret, Princess Imogen."

One by one, a new teenager emerges from the car. They all look like Arthur, to varying degrees. The boy is tall and gangly, clearly not grown into his limbs. Arthur's little brother.

The twin girls are gorgeous, one blonde and one brunette, with hauntingly beautiful blue eyes. They're around 13 or 14 years old, but their expressions age them by decades.

"Finally, Prince Arthur, the boy who, after his father, is next in line to be king. He's been at university for the past three years with his cousin Richard Jones, 3rd Earl of Chichester, who is accompanying him today."

"He looks like he's holding up well." Elina comments, breaking the silence, "They both do."

"Yeah," Grace replies, absentmindedly. Then she frowns, a sad thought going through her head, "They're probably taught not to give too much away."

Elina turns her head towards Grace, mirroring her friend's expression. She had never known her to be so cynical.

The pair watch on, letting silence fall over them again. Arthur and his siblings walk down the police cordoned road, mourners lining the barricades on both sides.

It feels a little farcical, Grace realises, as she watched hundreds of strangers crying over people they never knew. Arthur had lost half of his family... and yet he and his siblings were not the ones in hysterics.

Grace knows Arthur would laugh at the absurdity if it wasn't his life.

She understands it though. People have idols, and role models, so to lose them must cause great pain. But even so... the scene doesn't feel right.

Three harsh knocks hammer down on the door causing Grace and Elina to jump. Grace stands, going over to the door and opening it just a sliver.

It's Will.

Looking at his face now, Grace feels overcome with guilt. Since Arthur and Richard had left, she hadn't thought about him once. She may be without her boyfriend, but he was also missing his two best friends. She felt like the worst person in the world.

"Did you know?" He asks calmly, no hostility in his words, but Grace can sense that there is sadness there... betrayal.

"Yes." She answers, the meaning behind his words clear, "Arthur told me when we got together... I thought they had told you."

"No.." he sighs, running a hand through his his unruly curls, "Can I come in?"

Grace's eyes widen, "Of course!" She opens the door wider with no hesitation, "Elina's here."

"Hey." Elina calls to Will when he steps into the flat.

He greets her with a smile and a nod, taking a seat on the chair next the sofa.

"He didn't even tell me he was leaving." He explains, his eyes and mouth downcast, "I had to call him to find out where they were."

Grace doesn't need to ask who 'he' is, she knows it's Richard. Will doesn't give much away, but it's a obvious how much he cares for the handsome man. He probably feels so betrayed.

"Oh my god, that's so bad!" Elina exclaims.

"Oh Will, I had no idea." Grace says sympathetically, "I'm sure it wasn't personal... even though it's shit."

"Damn right it's shit. I feel like a right mug." Will mumbles, "I just wish I could have supported him. Instead he kept this whole part of himself away from me, and now he's going through all this and I can't do anything to help."

He stops himself then he gives Grace a soft smile, "How are you always so optimistic?"

She just shrugs in response, snuggling onto the sofa and under the blanket.

Will lets out a defeated sigh, and both Grace and Elina pull the blanket down silently offering him a space between them. He gets up and trudges over to them, flopping down onto the sofa and manoeuvring himself under the blanket. Once he's settled, Elina and Grace snuggle into him comfortingly, resting their heads onto each of his shoulders.

"We should go out." Elina says, "Take our mind off it." Then a mischievous smirk forms on her face, "Find a nice girl, get Will a shag."

It takes Grace everything she has to not burst out laughing. Will is the last person she'd expect to want to do that.

"Ych a fi... shagging isn't, uh, really my thing." He blushes.

"Neither are girls." Grace let slip with soft scoff, not able to hold it in any longer.

"That obvious, huh?" He grumbles, sounding not at all angry.

"Just a tad..." Elina smirks, poking his shoulder, "Especially with the way you stormed over here raging about Rich like a scorned lover."

Will scoffs and rolls his eyes, "I bloody wish."

Grace's heart goes out to him. The only thing worse than missing the one you love, is missing someone who doesn't love you back.

A/N: hope you guys enjoyed the little look into Will's relationship with the boys, Richard in particular. I really love Will's character :)

Also 'Ych a fi' (uh-ch ah vee) is a Welsh phrase which implies disgust. Sort of like saying 'yuck' or 'ew'.

Serena x