Chapter 9

Grace stares at the tall dark-haired man stood at the counter of the cafe, ordering a drink. He's in expensive clothes; a Burberry jacket, high quality black jeans, and Gucci shoes. He looks as though he hasn't had to work a day in his life.

Grace frowns. Of course, she thinks, I should have known.

"Richard." She calls out, not loud enough to draw attention to herself, but so that he can hear her.

The man looks over to her, then his face lights up in pleasant surprise.

"Grace!" He exclaims, sauntering over to her table, drink in hand, "It's good to see you, love!"

He leans down, gives her a slight hug, then greets her with a kiss on the cheek.

Grace smiles warmly at him, waiting for him to sit down before she replies.

"Hey, nice to see you too."

Rich, bless his soul, doesn't seem to notice the tightness of her expression, the way that her smile doesn't meet her eyes. Instead he just grins and starts telling her about his day.

"You knew." She interrupts him quietly, with no accusation in her tone. She's looking at him resolutely.

Rich opens and closes his mouth, recognition setting into his face.

"He told you then?" He says solemnly, slipping his expensive scarf from around his neck.

Grace just nods, shifting in her seat anxiously.

"Well, I guess I should explain." Rich continues, getting comfortable, "Arthur is my cousin. My grandmother is his great aunt. His grandfather, King Andrew's, sister."

"So, you're royalty too?"

"Yes, I'm not a prince though. Too far down the line, thank god."

"How far?"

"I lost count." Rich shrugs, "Somewhere over 20."

Grace raises her eyebrows in shock, "And Arthur? He's sixth, right? That's pretty high."

Richard shrugs again, it seems as though that's his default response, "Yeah, I suppose. But he's not in the parental line though. His uncle's entire family would have to die before he even smells the throne."

"And... would he want that? To be king?"

Rich's eyebrows draw together, he seems to think about it for a second, "Not that I'm aware. He's happy being anonymous. To be completely honest, I think he and I have a life that most royals dream of."

"How so? Surely you miss being waited on hand and foot?" Grace teases.

"Well, it's a sacrifice I had to make for my privacy." Rich smiles sadly, "Arthur knew since birth that he wasn't an heir, and no one ever treated him as such." He pauses, "I think he's better off for it."

"No expectations?"

"Exactly." Richard nods, then smiles cheekily, "Or limitations," he winks, "My life wouldn't be half as enjoyable if I were Prince Edward's child. Neither would Arthur's."

Grace ponders over their conversation, sipping silently at her latte. Arthur was so down to Earth, so normal. Even private school kids have some semblance of reality, but Grace didn't expect that of royalty. Their entire shtick is that they are different, special. But Arthur didn't act like that at all.

"Why is he going back to his royal duties?" She asks after a few beats of silence, "If he enjoys his private life so much, then why give it up?"

"Because he's a good man. And he can do so much more good with his title than he can without."