Chapter 16

"Hey, Hotstuff!" Grace exclaims once Elina opens the door to her flat.

The two of them have a study session planned ahead of their third and final exam. In two days time, they will have completed the final step toward their degrees.

"Hi." Elina says. Automatically, Grace can tell something is wrong.

"Spill." She says matter of factly. Making her way inside the nicely decorated flat and flopping down onto the sofa.

"Huh?" The taller girl says, seemingly on another planet.

"Something's bothering you." Grace tells her, "I know I've been caught up in my own drama, but I can tell when you need some TLC."

Elina sighs heavily, pressing two dainty fingers against her temple, rubbing periodically.

"I think I'm going to break up with, Ben."

Grace doesn't mean to laugh. She really really doesn't. But she can't help the little snort that erupts from her throat.

"I mean it, Grace." Elina glares at her, semi-embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. It's just-"another snort, "hard to trust you, since you've been saying this for 3 years."

"I know..." Elina sighs yet again, and walks across the room to settle onto her armchair. She pulls her feet up onto the seat and hugs her knees. "But things.... Things are different now."

"How so?"

Throwing her head back, Elina stares up at the ceiling. "I-I don't know. I guess... I'm finally ready to see what else there is beyond Ben."

Grace narrows her eyes, calculating. "You want to sample some other goods?"

"Don't be so vulgar."

"I'm right, aren't I?" Grace's mouth turns up in a smile, "Aren't I?"

"Yes... you're right."

"Alright. So who made you change you mind?"

Elina frowns, looking at Grace, "Who said one person changed my mind?"

Grace scoffs, "Yeah, because it totally just came to you in a dream."

"Shut up." Elina grumbles slapping her friend on the side and wrapping her arms around herself, "Smartass."

~~~~

"How do you think it went?" Arthur asks as he, Will, Elina, and Grace exit the exam hall.

"I want to jump off a bridge." Will rolls his eyes.

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad." Grace argues. Her hand is in Arthur's swinging back and forth.

"Says Isaac Newton reincarnated." Elina jokes, causing the other three burst into laughter.

"How about we get some dessert to celebrate?" Arthur suggests, his head nodding in the direction of the shopping mall.

"My brother," Will clamps a hand into his friend's shoulder, "That's the best idea you've had in weeks."

"Hey!" Arthur says indignantly, but follows his friend regardless.

The group walk for a few minutes until arrive at the dessert place. The colour-scheme is bright and sickly, with pictures of ice cream sundaes and waffles lining the walls.

Elina giggles and leads them to a booth in the corner, plopping herself down excitedly.

"I haven't been here in months." She tells them.