𝟎𝟎𝟖: 𝐊𝐞𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫.

You can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard

You can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard. It's kinda like a three-layer burrito. There's the Pogues, the working-class derelicts. Then, there are the Kooks, the rich second-homers. They're mostly from poncey-ass boarding schools, just rich trustafarian posers. The Pogues natural enemies. And then, there are the Tourons. Totally clueless. There for a week on vacation with their families, chum for the sharks. The bone yard is kind of like mutual ground where everyone goes for a good time.

After several hours everyone was slightly tipsy. Kie and Pope were talking to each other, John B serving alcohol and JJ watching Saylor talk to a touron. Watching her talk to someone that isn't him set a wave of anger and jealousy through his veins. He couldn't sit and watch any longer so he latched his lips to the first girl he saw in desperate need of a distraction. If he had just kept watching a few seconds longer he would have seen Rafe approach Saylor.

Rafe spotted Saylor from the opposite side of the beach and made his way over to her with a smirk on his face.

"Hey, you mind if I borrow her for a bit." He asked the touron. Saylor turned on her feet to face him after she heard his voice. Her heart instantly began beating at an unnatural rate. She could feel it in her ears. She knew she was gonna bump into him at some point and she was dreading it but she didn't expect it to be so soon.

"Yeah, sure man." The touron named Dan said before he gave Saylor a smile and walked away. Once his back was turned Rafe immediately grabbed Saylors wrists hard enough to leave a bruise and pulled her behind the trees. The feeling of his hands on her skin sent shivers down her spine and caused her hairs to stand in alarm.

"What are you doing here?!" He snapped.

Saylor stood frozen for a second before plastering a fake look of confidence on her face. "I live here." She told him using a tone as if he had asked a stupid question.

He let out a scoff before responding. "Got me there princess." He said sarcastically using the nickname he had given her a year previously. He then examined her body and notice the purple patches on her neck. "Who gave you those?"

"I- er - erm" Saylor stuttered as the memories of the motel room came flushing through her mind.

"Who ever it was, tell them to back off. Your mine." He said harshly. He was acting as if he didn't care what she did or who she did it with but that was far from the truth. Just the thought of anyone even looking at his girl let alone touching her was enough to drive him insane. The fear of his father being angry or dissapointed in him if he saw Saylor was with someone else also clouded his mind.

"I am not yours Rafe!" Saylor yelled back at him angrily.

"That ring on your finger says differently." He retorted and pulled her left hand up and in front of her face. The ring suddenly felt really heavy on Saylors finger and she felt sick at the sight of it.

As Saylor opened her mouth to respond but as she did she heard JJ and her brother yelling. She ripped her hand away from Rafes grip and ran towards the commotion.

She saw John B and someone shoving each other and screaming. She recognised the guy as Topper but she couldn't be 100% sure as she hasn't seen him since she left the island. Her suspicions were confirmed once she heard a girl shout his name telling him to stop.

Saylor felt the blood pump through her veins as she saw John B being pushed and kicked by Topper. She was already on her way to them to help her brother when she heard the words "Hey, John B, don't make me drown you like your old man." She was completely over come by rage and ran up to Topper harshly shoving him away from her brother before punching him straight in between his eyes.

Topper stumbled back slightly before swinging at Saylor and punching her in the gut. Everyone on the beach gasped but Saylor didn't even flinch. She was used to being hit, kicked and punched so she wasn't bothered.

"Is that the best you got? My mum hits harder then you!" She yelled and let out a laugh. That's when every thing clicked inside the Pogues heads. The scars, the flinching and the change in her personality.

Topper stepped angrily closer to Saylor even more annoyed now after she made fun of his strength. He wrapped one of his hands around her throat and squeezed tightly. Topper knew he wasn't going to kill the girl he just needed her out of the way so he could go back to John B.

Saylor was gasping for air and was trying to push him away but nothing was working. She couldn't hear people on the beach yelling at him to stop but he only did once Saylors face started turning a light blue. He took his hand from around her throat and she immediately fell to the ground and into the water desperately gasping for air.

Whilst Saylor was on the ground Topper took the opportunity to make his was back over to John B and grab his head holding it under the water. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Toppers hand intwined with her brother hair as he refused to let him come up to breath.

Flash backs of her own mother doing the same thing replayed over in her head and her heart broke at the thought of her brother going through the same thing. Her brothers lungs burning and chest screaming just as hers did.

She used the last of her strength to push herself of from the ground but it was no use as her knees buckled and she fell back into the cold water.

She felt completely and utterly useless.

She saw JJ walk over and place a gun onto the back of Toppers head before everything began to spin. She couldn't look straight or focus on anything. She heard someone scream her name before everything went black.

˚ ◌༘♡ ⋆。˚ ꕥ