Chapter 65: I Wish You Didn't Find Out Like This

"Justin..." Ariana was the first to speak.

   I could feel the confusion of everyone. How the fuck did Ariana not know he was going to be here?

   "Hey, Ariana. Hey-" he turned to address me, but Katie quickly jumped in.

   "Justin! How do you know Ariana?"

   I was so thankful Katie had stopped him from saying my name and showing that he knew me. She didn't know that Ariana was my teacher, but I had told her that anybody knowing about my girlfriend was dangerous a bit dangerous for us. I'm sure she would have been able to curve the truth to Justin only knowing me from my friendship with her, but the risk of him bringing up that I attended the school he worked at was too high. Her question was just enough to distract them from me.

   "She teaches at the school I'm substituting at right now." He seemed to be the most confused out of everyone, and it somehow brought me comfort.

   Maybe we could pull this off.

   Pattie jumped into the conversation like she hadn't noticed the awkward interactions that had just taken place among the four youngest guests.

   "You won't be substituting for much longer."

   "Mom, don't." Justin was not begging but demanding.

   "Why not?"

   "Are you quitting?" Ariana sounded a little hurt which was almost like a knife to the back. The little bit of insecurity that her question brought out hit me like a brick wall.

   "He has been offered a position full time!" Pattie was so proud of her son, but it felt like everything was starting to crumble around me. I watched Ariana let out a sigh of relief. My hands made fists, and my nails began to dig into my palms. I wasn't sure when my hand had dropped from her grip, but I was thankful that it had.

"That's great! Congratulations. It'll be great to have you around all of them time." Ariana sounded so sincere. I thought I was going to be sick.

"I'm not sure I'll take the position."

"Don't be ridiculous, Justin. Of course you're taking it!"

"Mom we aren't doing this again, not here." His jaw flexed in anger. This was definitely a discussion they had had plenty of times before. I wondered if I was the reason he didn't want to take the position. It felt conceded to think.

   Mister Edward redirected the conversation back to business. Mister Willson was quick to follow along, but everybody else felt how tense it was.

   Mrs. Willson was upset with Justin. Justin was mad at her and confused about Ariana and me. Katie was confused about Justin and me. I was confused about Ariana and Justin. Ariana was confused about Justin, which made me more confused about her and me.

   Mrs. Willson shot her son a certain look and headed toward the table where the men had already gone. Us remaining four all stared at each other.

   "Y/n, can I talk to you?"

   I expected it to be from Katie, but it came from Justin. I was so confused that I forgot to answer. I stepped towards him in response, and he lead me to outside the tent. I heard Katie try to start a conversation with Ariana on my way out.

"What the fuck is going on?" He started.

"I'm not exactly sure how to answer that."

"You're dating Ariana?"

I couldn't answer him.

"Your coach? Your teacher?"

I nodded slightly, but I couldn't say anything. I couldn't look at him.