Chapter Eleven

I sit against my door slightly hyperventilating, partly due to the fact that I probably sprinted a six minute mile home, but mostly to the fact of what I just saw.

As soon as I arrived home, I texted Jake after digging through my pants last night for his number. I simply wrote "you have a lot to explain".

I'm debating whether or not I still have my sanity. I mean, Jake can't be a werewolf. He can't be. But I can't get rid of the thought of a specific black piece of rope in my head. I mean, what else is there to believe? What other explanation can I come up with.

So I wait. Wait for a text. Wait for a call. Wait for an explanation.

Waiting that I think has ended with my doorbell ringing.

I fly down the stairs and towards the door in no time. I fling the door open and growl in frustration when I see Dylan.

As much as I am confused and angry at Jake, I still wanted to see him so bad. I know these cramps are a result of not seeing him  whether or not he is a werewolf. When I open the door I wS hoping it was him and my stomach jumps into my heart as I realize it wasn't.

"What do you want Dylan?" I ask through my clenched teeth as he steps inside my house.

"I wanted to talk, Jen. Did I do something to you? Is it because of that party? I mean, what ever happened to you that night? You disappeared by the time I wanted to leave and I was really drunk...."

"Shut up Dylan!" I yell. I take a deep breath and put my hands on my knees.

I am so frustrated. I'm not even the type of person to snap at people. All I can even think about is Jake and here Dylan is complaining that I was missing when he supposedly wanted to leave a stupid party.

Dylan stands there speechless. I wait for him to say something but he doesn'g so I open my mouth again.

"I'm sorry Dylan, I just have other things going on right now, I shouldn't have snapped at you." I sigh. He sighs in relief and his face sightly lifts up again.

"Okay, that makes sense because I've been going insane trying to think of how I may have upset you. Do you want my help with... what you're going through?" He asks.

I have a fleeting though of guilt when I think of Dylan hanging on by threads as I went on a date last night, but I quickly shove it away. I am about to say something in response but am interrupted by someone at the still-open door. The someone I had actually been waiting for.

"No, that's what I'm here for." Jake says leaning against the frame. He looked tense, yet curious. Like he wanted to see how this was going to play out.

Dylan whips around and looks Jake up and down. "Who are you?" He asks, totally clueless.

"I'm Jake, Jen's boyfriend." He smirks. I gasp as the smile is wiped off Dylan's face.

"I was under the impression that Jen was my girlfriend.... considering I'm the one taking her to prom with me." He says, looking back over at me. "You're not gonna bail on me are you Jen?"

"No." I say quickly, making my body ache with the thought of having to go to prom with Dylan. "I'm still going to prom with you and Jake is not my boyfriend." I grab Dylan's hand and lead him towards the door Jake is standing in. Jake gladly moves out of the way. "If you don't mind, I gotta talk to Jake, but I'll call you later, okay?"

"I'll be waiting for that." He replies with a wink as Jake rolls his eyes.

Jake tenses as I am now standing directly next to him. I quickly close the door on Dylan's face and turn back to face Jake while taking a large step back.