02. {the sea and star hotel}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"listen, guys. i'm-im gonna get him back, all right? i'm making it a little project of mine." topper reassured his two friends.

"yeah, you should man." rafe cameron, sarah's nineteen-year-old brother, encouraged him.

"what's your plan?" kelce questioned.

but before topper could reply, rafe spotted marella making her way over to them. the girl wore a grey, halter neck top with a pair of light blue washed, denim shorts. her hair was pulled into two low ponytails and she had her new pair of forest green converse on.

"hey, mouse." rafe greeted the girl who was strolling over to them.

mouse, that was another of marella's detested nicknames. when she had first moved from the south side to the north, the girl was very meek and didn't speak to anyone at school or outside of school. then, marella became friends with sarah again, after years, and she eventually came out of her shell. but with people the river girl didn't know too well, she would mask her real personality until she felt comfortable enough to be her true self.

"i'm sure i've outgrown that nickname by now." marella sighed.

he threw his arms around her shoulder with a smirk. rafe was immediately hit with the smell of her coconut-scented shampoo and vanilla perfume. "come on, mouse. it's a harmless nickname."

"i never liked it." marella reminded him, squirming uncomfortably under his hold.

"you don't like any of your nicknames, river or mouse." kelce spoke up.

"is it so offensive that i simply prefer my given name?" marella asked.

"simply prefer my given name." topper mocked, putting on a posh accent. "you've been one of us for years, you don't have to keep forcing it."

marella just looked at him and looked away. before the silence got any more uneasy, rafe spoke again. "nah, she's been like that since we were kids." rafe explained. "she use to seriously believe she was some type of royalty. that plastic tiara never left her head."

"well, she is royalty now." topper began. "hotel royalty." he noticed that she again didn't give him a reaction to his comment. "what's up with you?"

"john b?" marella reminded him.

rafe groaned out, running his hands through his hair. he didn't even give topper a chance to justify himself as he spoke up. "when are you going to understand that they are not your people? not anymore."

"my people or not, he shouldn't have punched him, or called them dirty." marella said, her voice a little quieter than before.

rafe stopped walking, meaning she was forced to stop as well. the two other boys watched as he grabbed both of marella's wrists and twisted her arms up, her hands now near her face. "i get that you haven't been one of us for too long, which is why i'm saying this nicely-"