08. {rixon's cove}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"hey, guys. so, like, my dad's already gonna kill me." pope finally spoke up. "so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

the five were gathered around what they liked to call rixon's cove, which was really just logs surrounding a pile of logs that were burned into a large fire. they sat there, just waiting for an explanation as to why they had to dramatically escape the midsummers party.

"might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed." jj shrugged, from beside marella. she was sat in between him and pope her eyes on the crackling fire.

"you ready for this?" john b questioned, building anticipation.

"yeah." kie nodded with a smile.

"so, the gold never went down with the royal merchant." he begun.

poor rolled his eyes. "oh, my God. here we go again with this."

"no, all right, wait. hear him out, all right?" jj came to the brunette's defence.

"it's been here the whole time. It's on the island." john b informed them.

"you're lying." marella gaped, already getting excited for them.

"are you serious?" kie smiled. "oh, my God."

"i'd like to voice my skepticism." pope said.

"i'm sure you would, pope, but can i please present you with my evidence, sir?" john b requested as he stood up.

"proceed." pope accepted.

"all right. so, in my backpack, i have a letter from denmark tanny." he reached into the bag and showed them.

"who the hell's that?" kie asked.

"denmark tanny was a slave that survived the royal merchant wreck." john b informed them.

"he's a big inspiration in my family." marella chimed in. "we have pictures of him up in the lobby."

"yeah, i think i've seen it." kie nodded.

"check this out." john b leaned over.

"what?"

"here you go." he handed the letter to kiara to read.

"okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest." john b stated. "that was his big discovery. so tanny used the gold from the merchant to buy his freedom."

jj whistled to get kie's attention. she passed the paper over to him and allowed him to skim over it.

"after that, he bought his farm. drumroll, please, because that farm is..." they all began to slap their knees to build up anticipation. "tannyhill plantation." john b revealed.