14. {family trip to the bahamas}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"jj, you have six hundred thousand on the line." kie reminded her friend. "so why are you still obsessed with this fifty dollar bet? it's been months and you've only just properly spent time with her—"

bet.

"because i like her, kie!" he exclaimed. "i think i actually like her! and all i wanted was fifty dollars, not these weird feelings for some kook." he groaned.

bet.

"wait, you think you like her?" pope questioned. "dude, why didn't you just tell me?"

they had betted on her?

marella couldn't even be happy that the boy she thought was actually quite sweet had some sort of crush on her. because he had placed a bet on her, and that was so much worse. 'some kook'. is that all she meant to them? to him? after the night before?

"and what did you expect?" kiara scoffed. "you thought you could just win over such an good person and you wouldn't catch any feelings?"

"jj, we've got to call it off then." pope shook his head. he had no idea how jj felt about his friend. yes, he too had begun to feel things for marella too but he was momentarily torn between her and kiara.

"pope?" marella mouthed, tears welling up in her dark brown eyes. he was in on this too?

"way ahead of you, brother." the blonde boy sighed, running his hand through his hair.

"you're both idiots." kie sighed. "you two better tell her what's been going on before it's too late."

"and why didn't you stop us from making this bet?" jj crossed his arms, trying to pin the blame on someone else.

"oh, please. i've been against it since the day you two disgustingly spit shook your hands." kie reminded him.

"hey, where is marie?" pope questioned. "you think she's up yet?"

"i'm not too sure." kiara shrugged, glancing around. she had turned around at the perfect time, to see marella's loose, dark curls passing by the window. "shit, she's awake!" the girl quickly stood up from the bucket and ran into the house. "marella!"

"what?!" jj instantly got up from the hot tub and followed her inside, pope behind him. the three rushed over to the back door, to see marella speeding off. "river! hold on." jj shouted, running over to her. "hey, hey. what's going on?"

"oh cut the bullshit." she shook her head. the three were surprised, marella never swore. that's how she preserved her elegance. "so much for i deserved to be loved? is this what i deserve, jj? or was that just a lie too?"

"no—" jj shook his head.

the girl simply looked past jj, her eyes on the boy behind him. "and pope... you were supposed to be my friend."