06. {summer movies series}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"so where have you been?" kiara asked the girl. "and what happened to your eye?"

marella was grounded. stupid rafe had told her mother than he caught her "slumming it down" with the group of pogues and the girl was now banned from seeing them. she was forced to pick up longer shifts, so she wouldn't have the time to hang out with them.

the girl was miserable, so miserable that she hadn't even seen sarah. but that didn't put any strain on their relationship as they tended to have a low-maintenance friendship. could go days without speaking to one another, living their own lives. and once they finally caught up, it was like nothing had changed.

so marella was quite surprised to see kiara standing at the receptionist desk, a smile on her face. especially since the two hadn't really officiated their friendship, even after the pogues stayed at night at the hotel. and while kiara wasn't a hundred percent sure of the girl, she knew that pope was. and so kie wanted to invite marella to the summer movie series.

"oh, i've been loaded with work, sorry i missed the testing of the drone. and sorry it didn't go as planned." marella explained. "also my eye? you've seen how dylan is, he uh... accidentally hit me."

marella was a terrible liar and kie picked up on it instantly. she also didn't want to bother or pressure her so she chose to accept the lie. "oh, okay. anyways, would you be up for a ride to movie night?"

"yeah, sure!" marella nodded excitedly, completely forgetting that she was bound to the hotel. "actually... i've still got two hours left of my shift."

"how long have you been working?" kie questioned, now leaning on the tall wooden desk.

marella's eyes glanced at the clock to do the calculations. it had been ten hours since she clocked in, but she didn't want to tell that to kie. "not long."

"well, you look tired." kie admitted. "and i'm sure your mom wouldn't mind if you ended your shift early."

"i don't know..."

"and pope's gonna be there." kie tried to convince her.

"really?" marella questioned.

"yep."

the girl sighed, standing up from the desk chair. she turned to her colleague. "i'm going to go out with my friends, is that all right?"

"perfect, miss river." her employee replied. "enjoy."

"you are an angel, owen." marella thanked him. "if my mom asks, tell her i'm with sarah."