10. {the powerpuff girls}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"hey, kiara?" marella turned to face the girl on her right.

kiara tiredly groaned. the sun had completely set and the girls laid down on lower deck to get some rest. "don't you start with this too."

marella chuckled, shaking her head. "could you tell me something? about what it was like when i was friends with you guys? anything. it's just— my memory's a little cloudy."

the girl hesitated at her request. her and her friends were under strict orders not to talk about marella's life before her father passed away. it was such a tragedy that it sent the twelve year old into a mental spiral. and once the doctors declared she had some type of amnesia, her mother made sure that no one would try to tamper with it. hoping that she would just live a life with missing memories.

"yeah, sure." kie nodded, feeling like the girl had a right to know. "i mean, i met you guys in like seventh grade, but i'm pretty sure you and pope were friends since... you guys were maybe nine?"

sarah slightly turned over to face them, wanting to hear about the story too.

"the two of you were each other's favourite person." kie continued. "until you met a friendship in fifth grade who had a bond like yours — jj and john b."

"friends with pope since fourth, friends with john b and jj in fifth. friends with kie in seventh." marella mouthed, making a mental note of it all. "what else?!" she asked.

kiara began to chuckle to herself. "i remember the first day you asked me to sit with you all at lunch, john b and pope were reminding jj about how he asked you out about two years ago, and you said no."

"you're lying!" marella exclaimed in disbelief. "jj asked me out?!"

"yeah!" kie nodded as sarah laughed. "you hated it everytime they brought it up because you felt so guilty for rejecting him."

"why did i?"

she shrugged. "i'm not too sure."

"now that is something i wish i saw." sarah mumbled.

"don't think he ever got over it." kie shrugged. "the rejection, i mean."

"that's why he has it out for me?" marella giggled. "surprisingly, i think i can live with that."

the girls fell into a peaceful silence again, and marella could feel herself drifting off to sleep. the sound of the waves underneath them paired with the warm breeze of the salty air was enough to finally put her mind at ease.

"hey, sarah." kie whispered.

"hey, kiara." sarah muttered.

"promise me that you won't bail on john b." kie spoke. "he's not just... some other guy. and he really, really likes you."