17. {lost in the storm}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"hey. are you okay?" pope asked, his eyes on marella.

the two were in the backseat of deputy shoupe's patrol car. her eyes were outside of the window and they rode in silence, the two policemen in the front chatting amongst themselves. the four friends had been separated, kiara and jj in a different vehicle.

"yeah." she nodded, biting her lip.

"this is probably the best time to apologise, right?"

marella shrugged. "yeah, you might as well." she had already been silenced by deputy shoupe about five times and had nothing else better to do.

"i know you think that me wanting to build our friendship was fake, for the stupid bet. but it wasn't." pope explained. "i had forgotten all about it until the day you let us stay at the hotel. and i know that's not the best excuse. but it was real to me and i hope it was real to you too."

"so you wanted to be my friend again and instead of just talking to me, you made a bet?" marella asked, trying to understand his situation.

"i know what jj and i did was completely wrong—"

"wrong doesn't even begin to describe it." marella laughed to herself. "i trusted you, pope. i thought you were my friend."

"i know let you down, and i hate myself for it." pope sighed in annoyance at himself. "i never should have gone along with jj's stupid bet."

"well then why did you do it?" she inquired. "did you ever really care about me, or... was i just a game to you?"

"you could never be just a game. you've always meant so much more to me than that." pope said quietly. "i was stupid and thoughtless, and i got caught up in something dumb... but that doesn't excuse what i did."

marella turned, finally looking the boy in the eye. the two were just looking at each other for a moment, unsure what to say.

"okay."

"i'll do whatever it takes to make things right, marie." pope confessed. "even if it means losing you as a friend."

"i just need time." marella admitted. "because as much as i hate to admit it... i don't want to lose you."

"i'll give you all the time you need. i just need you to know that i'm truly sorry."