07. {midsummer night's dream}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"i just don't understand why we have to submit to the patriarchal ideologies." marella whined. "i don't need to be walked down a flight of stairs by anyone, definitely not a man and definitely not rafe cameron!"

the girl was wearing a dark red, flowy, halter-neck dress that stopped right above her ankles. her dark, curly hair was thrown into a bun, with a small rose flower crown wrapped around it.

"marella river!" her mother exclaimed, readjusting the bow on cordelia's cream dress. "you will not disobey direct orders and you will not disgrace this family."

"if i must be escorted and it must be a cameron, why not sarah? or even wheezie?" marella questioned, leaning against the wall.

"because sarah will be with the thorton boy and wheezie is with ethan mcklan. now stop complaining and do as your told!"

the classical music began to play, filling up the air in the island club and initiating that everyone must be walked out. the whole aim of the event was for sarah's father, ward cameron, to be named 'guardian of the knights of the rhododendron'. and since the river family and the cameron family were so close knit, they would be joining the special entrance too.

first it was their parents, rose displaying her gold rose head crown. while marella's mother wore an emerald evening gown and an elegant necklace as accessories. this was the most beautiful marella had ever seen her. but of course, no one looked very beautiful when they were holed up in their room surrounded by bottles of alcohol.

now it was in age order of the children. first was the twins, who so cutely accompanied one another. then wheezie stepped out with the mcklan's son by her side, and sarah unwillingly with topper. finally, marella and rafe.

once sarah had disappeared down the flight of stairs, marella was ready to make a run for it in the opposite direction. but rafe almost immediately caught her.

"not so fast, mouse." he called out to her.

she stopped in her tracks, sighing in disappointment and trudged back over to him, her three-inch golden heels tapping on the floor with every step. without another word, he took her by the hand and led her to the staircase.

"you look amazing." rafe told her, making her chest grow tighter. "a shame you ruin your looks by spending time so much with the pogues."

she didn't look up at him, instead watching her steps.

"oh, and if i see you with any one of them today? i'll be tempted to have a repeat of the golfing fields or even from movie night."