Epilogue

Epilogue

20 years later

I woke up beside Mira. She was dead asleep from overworking the past few nights. It was 9:30 in the morning, so I woke her up for breakfast. "Sweetie, wake up."

She grumbled and rolled over. "5 minutes..."

I sighed. "Its 9:30 in the morning."

She rolled over to face me. "Let me sleeeeeeeep..."

"If I do, the kids will wake you up."

She grumbled again. "Fine."

She kissed me. "Good morning, sweetheart."

I smiled. "Morning."

We kissed again. I heard our door fly open. I felt a weight on top of me. "Eww! Mommy and daddy were kissing!"

My daughter Ruby jumped on top of me. My son, Jasper, leaned on the doorframe. "Ruby, that's a normal thing."

"I know, I'm teasing. Come on, guys! It's Christmas!"

Ruby was 12 and Jasper was 13. In January, they were going to join the Youth Division II. Since Jameson died, the group was disbanded because we all became adults, so now I work as the director of a discrete section of the CIA called the Sena-Royale program. Raven left and perused other dreams of hers, which included marrying Mitch. Pyra went home to Japan to re-learn the ways of her family. Eva got married to one of my friends, Robin. Cortez' daughter, Vikki, had a full recovery and is joining the YDII as well has Eva's son, Neo, and Raven's son, Cisco. I'm sure Pyra settled down with another guy (What happened to Jesse? He died. Rip.), and had another kid named Shinji. Olivia married a guy named Edward and had a daughter, Angel. I snapped back to reality as Mira tickled Ruby off me. "If you're not careful, maybe you might get kissed too!"

"Mom! Jeez!"

We all shared a laugh. Jasper looked at his watch. "Ruby, don't you want to open presents?"

She looked at me. "Can we? Can we?"

I smiled. "Yes, go open your presents. And Jas, run the coffee machine."

He nodded and went downstairs. Ruby screamed in delight as she ran down the stairs. Mira put her head on my chest. "Jas is turning 14 soon. And Ruby 13. Don't you feel old?"

"I don't have gray hair yet. We're only 38, we still have years to go."

She smiled and kissed me. "I love you so very much."

"Me too, Mira. Me too."

Ruby popped up. "Stop smooching and let's go!"

I got up and walked downstairs. Jasper handed me my coffee. "Thank you, Jas."

He nodded and took a sip of his. I sat down at our sofa and looked at our Christmas tree. It was very...us. It had pictures of our memories together and pictures of me and Mira during our missions. Our star was sitting atop of the tree, glowing bright. Ruby grabbed the closest present, which was addressed to Jasper. She sighed and passed it to him, but the next one she pulled was for her. Mira sat next to me with her coffee and we watched them open their presents. Jasper pulled out a handgun with the word 'Wrath', his codename, written on it. Jasper placed top of his group when trying out to be in the Youth Division II, and earned the codename Wrath. He held it out. "Wow, it's...light! And it has my codename engraved into the slide. Awesome. Thanks guys!"

We smiled as Ruby pulled out her handgun. Both were Beretta M9A3's, and both were custom made. She gasped. "A ROSEGOLD BERETTA AND MY CODENAME IS ENGRAVED!!!"

Ruby's gun had a rose gold finish with a white grip. Her codename, Covenant, was engraved into the slide as well. Jasper and Ruby slid our presents from them over to us. I picked mine up. It was a tiny box, while Mira received a huge rectangular box. She opened hers. "Wow! Holy hell, is that a necklace!?"

She picked my present first. I bought her a garnet necklace, like the one Eva had. Her initials (Now M.Q) were engraved into the back. She hugged me, "Thank you! It's beautiful!"

"You're welcome."

She opened the second. Another handgun, but this was the one she lost when we were fighting Viktoria. It was covered in scorch marks and scratches, but it was operational. She dropped it and gasped. She started tearing up. "Josh, this is..."

The second one was in there, too. "They're the original M1911's from the Viktoria Incident."

She kissed me. "Open yours."

I opened it. I just about lost it. It was a micro SD card, but the note said what was on it. It was the footage that Pyra took. When on our missions, Pyra secretly recorded them. Pyra only told us a couple years ago that she had taped everything we did. So, Mira bugged her to get all the footage from when Mira and I showed feelings for each other, from the very beginning. I pulled it out. "Thank you. So much."

"You're welcome."

She hugged me and we were all happy with our gifts. I drowned myself into my thoughts. This is it. Finally, away from the field. Spending Christmases with my family. I could not be happier in this moment. But of course, this is book two, and no-one makes 2 books and stops. There's always a third.

But I wonder how it will end?

END OF BOOK 2